Getting 5.1 Sound with Realtek HD Audio onboard?
Question 
Hi everyone,

i would like to know if it is possible to get 5.1 playback in XBMC for Windows with a Realtek HD Audio sound device and the speakers directly connected to the back of the pc (no receiver or decoder)?

If i switch to to digital output mode in the sound options i don't get any sound from surround sound sources.

Thanks for your help

TheNME123
nm
when using digital out you have to connect your receiver/amplifier to the analog digital out of your soundcard. Also refered to as spdif. A regular tulp-plug will do.
So pc-systems like that will not work?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G51-Surro...144&sr=8-3

Or do i need a another/better sound card for this to work?
Most people I think these days use Realtek.

I run a muti-channel analog from my onboard to my recevier from logitech with no issues.

XBMC supports it just fine.

I don't use SPDIF as you can't get DTS HD from Blue-ray (you most likely don't need to even read this part), or PCM audio.

SPDIF is a old format that is going to be faded out, HDMI 1.3v supports 7 channel audio, and mutli-channel analog also works.
Question 
Quote:I run a muti-channel analog from my onboard to my recevier from logitech with no issues.

I don't understand your setup? Do you have a multi-channel audio analog connection from your pc to your receiver? My speaker-system has no receiver/decoder it is just an amplifier with connected speakers.

I thought you just need an receiver/decoder if your soundcard does not decode the digital ac3/dts stream put passes it via spdif or hdmi to the receiver/decoder which then decodes the stream and outputs it analog via a seperate amplifier or an integrated amplifier.
Question 
So i guess using standard PC 5.1 speaker-systems won't work.

What is then the best solution for getting surround sound in XBMC on Windows? Connect a receiver via spdif? Or is HDMI a better option? Or are there special pci cards which output an analog 5.1 signal?

Thanks for your help

TheNME123

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting 5.1 Sound with Realtek HD Audio onboard?0