• 108(current)
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread
Hi guys, not my post but the guy said his post got rejected, looks like he's trying to get Potplayer to work, should be easy peasy for one of you guys I'm guessing by the length of this thread Wink. Here's the reddit post: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kodi/com...actoryxml/

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer, 

And here's the question:

running 2 versions (19.4, 20.1) kodi on windows 10 pc. external player runs ok from "play using" context menu item BUT crashes Kodi when using kodi player then using shortcut key "Y" and choosing external player. (I have used this file with success on kodi Leia but now have this problem when using Matrix and Nexus versions. PLEASE check my .xml file and let me know what needs to be changed - THANKS

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini64.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="true" player="PotPlayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
hello i use external player mpc hc works perfectly. Only in the context menu does the kodi player work. And I would like the kodi player to be on by default and select mpc from the context menu. Can I ask for an xml file with settings to make the kodi player the default and the mpc player from the context menu. Thank you in advance because I've been trying for some time and I can't do it
@Jwc84 give the following a shot after you change the paths to reflect your set-up and eliminate the players you don't have.

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe</filename>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
</player>
<player name="mpc-hc64" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
</player>
<player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="paplayer">
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
hello, I tried these settings, of course, after changing the path, and so from the context menu I have to choose mpc, but if I choose, Kodi player turns on. And my version of the xml file is the other way around again from the context menu there is kodi player as the default but when I press it opens mpc Generally speaking from your xml version only kodi player opens and from my xml version only mpc opens even if i press VideoPlayer (kodi) maybe there is some error in the line in the xml file?
<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv|avi|divx|ogm|mp4|mov|m4v|flv|m2v|mpeg|mpg|mts|m2ts|vob|bdmv|iso" player="MPC-HC">
<rule protocols="http|https" player="MPC-HC"/>
<rule protocols="daap|rtv|rtsp|rtmp|rtmpe|rtsp|mms|rtp|pvr" player="VideoPlayer"/>
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>
@Jwc84 I don't see any relationship with the code I provided to what your playercorefactory looks like, drop those extra rules.

From the wiki https://kodi.wiki/view/External_players

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-HC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="paplayer">
   </rule>
  </rules>
 </playercorefactory>

Looks like you are trying to engage streaming videos with an external player, no sure the rules work well for that.
thanks for the help but somehow it doesn't work. Yes, I use it for files in the stream, generally in the context menu it is the default Kodi player, but the external player does not work, even if I choose and this my xml file, then again, even if I select the kodi player, the external player opens. Maybe someday I'll get to that
need help please. this is the error message received when i tried to use mpc as an external player to play a file from kodi

Unrecognized switch(es) found in command line string: 
C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\MPC-HC64\mpc-hc64.exe --fullscreen E:\300 Rise Of An Empire (2014) [2160p] [4K] [BluRay] [5.1] [YTS.MX]\300.Rise.Of.An.Empire.2014.2160p.4K.BluRay.x265.10bit.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mkv
Usage: mpc-hc.exe "pathname" [switches]

can someone help me please?
the output already showed you how to use commandline

(2023-12-15, 11:37)metfixxxer Wrote: Usage: mpc-hc.exe "pathname" [switches]
so the thing to do is format it how it told you to

C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\MPC-HC64\mpc-hc64.exe "E:\300 Rise Of An Empire (2014) [2160p] [4K] [BluRay] [5.1] [YTS.MX]\300.Rise.Of.An.Empire.2014.2160p.4K.BluRay.x265.10bit.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mkv" --fullscreen
The double-quotes are important in the playerfactory file.

<args>"{1}" --fullscreen</args>
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2023-12-15, 15:44)izprtxqkft Wrote: the output already showed you how to use commandline

(2023-12-15, 11:37)metfixxxer Wrote: Usage: mpc-hc.exe "pathname" [switches]
so the thing to do is format it how it told you to

C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\MPC-HC64\mpc-hc64.exe "E:\300 Rise Of An Empire (2014) [2160p] [4K] [BluRay] [5.1] [YTS.MX]\300.Rise.Of.An.Empire.2014.2160p.4K.BluRay.x265.10bit.AAC5.1-[YTS.MX].mkv" --fullscreen

please forgive this noob...i still don't quite understand what you mean
looking above to your quote, i see you have put "--fullscreen" at the end of the quote?
do i need to make an adjustment to my playercorefactory.xml file?
(2023-12-15, 16:36)CrystalP Wrote: The double-quotes are important in the playerfactory file.

<args>"{1}" --fullscreen</args>
? i have that in my playercorefactory.xml file

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC64" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\MPC-HC64\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
<args>--fullscreen "{1}"</args>
<hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule video="true" player="MPC-HC64"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

what am i doing wrong?
based on that your arguments are in the wrong order, its path then args (--fullscreen) not args then path
(2023-12-16, 17:34)izprtxqkft Wrote: based on that your arguments are in the wrong order, its path then args (--fullscreen) not args then path
thanks izprtxqkft...but I've changed my playercore file to reflect that above and it still didn't work. gave me the exact same error messageSad

will still be here hoping someone can see what i'm doing wrong
Well, is --fullscreen even accepted by mpc-hc64.
Run your command in a command prompt first. It's much easier that way to find your perfect combination of command line switches.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
  • 108(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread11