• 43(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)
For those who want to read the guide still, here's a link to the last revision before it was disembowled:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ldid=12597
pyrates Wrote:Once you've copied something to the clipboard, just right click on the putty window. Should paste what is in the clipboard to their.

Thanks for the quick reply M8.I got it, Do i have hit enter button after each command?
ilavu Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply M8.I got it, Do i have hit enter button after each command?

I *really* don't want to come off like a jerk by saying this, but really are you sure you want to go this route? You seem very new to Linux and command lines in general. This guide really is for a little more experienced users.

Unless there is a reason not to use it - I think Live might be a lot easier for you to get up and running.

xnappo
ilavu Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply M8.I got it, Do i have hit enter button after each command?

Yes. However I suggest you do NOT follow this route and instead install Ubuntu and start learning linux command lines. You clearly are a n00b, no offense, and a guide like this is not for n00b's Smile
Thanks for the reply both pyrates and xnappo. I am only 3 commands away from finish the guide. I used it long time ago and It was brain wash from mac. But got it finally. Thanks again.
ilavu Wrote:Thanks for the reply both pyrates and xnappo. I am only 3 commands away from finish the guide. I used it long time ago and It was brain wash from mac. But got it finally. Thanks again.

Well if it works for you, good on ya. This proves to the xbmc devs that the guide works and they shouldn't have removed it.
pyrates Wrote:Well if it works for you, good on ya. This proves to the xbmc devs that the guide works and they shouldn't have removed it.

Come on, thats enough now, just get over it. Any more bashing on here of all places will not be tolerated.
motd2k Wrote:Come on, thats enough now, just get over it. Any more bashing on here of all places will not be tolerated.

Just saying is all Smile
I would like to know how the Alsa script breaks apt. I have used the Alsa Script on three machines, and I have my test machine setup with 3 different hard drives testing separate versions of xbmc and mini, Kubuntu and live and I have ran the script on all three and I can turn right around and run apt-get whatever and it works just fine. I HAVE NEVER had an issue with the script, OK maybe in the 2.6.24 kernel (snap) requirements.

I would think running a dist-upgrade 90% of the time is more apt (no pun intended) to BREAK something.

Good Run, Olympia.

Dave
Is there a guide on how to setup xbmc on ubuntu ? what i mean is how to get everything working like this guide? from what i could remember when i ran ubuntu i couldn't figure out how to install xbmc and get HMDI audio to work, how to get new nvidia drivers that work with my 8200 and VPDU.

What about XBMC live will this work on live http://wiki.foxmediasystems.com/index.ph..._Black_LCD ? and from what i see on live it uses older nvidia driver that doesn't work with VPDU on my 8200 can i upgrade it from live?
EMK0 Wrote:Is there a guide on how to setup xbmc on ubuntu ? what i mean is how to get everything working like this guide? from what i could remember when i ran ubuntu i couldn't figure out how to install xbmc and get HMDI audio to work, how to get new nvidia drivers that work with my 8200 and VPDU.

What about XBMC live will this work on live http://wiki.foxmediasystems.com/index.ph..._Black_LCD ? and from what i see on live it uses older nvidia driver that doesn't work with VPDU on my 8200 can i upgrade it from live?

There was one, it has since been removed by the dev's. Ask them to explain why.
tom123 Wrote:Hi Pyrates,

BillyBig gave a solution which works and is really simple.
It is about adding a resample parameter in the avandedsettings file.

Full detail here : http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=330394&postcount=2

Regards,
Tom

Awesome, thanks for the tip. I've already added it.
pyrates Wrote:There was one, it has since been removed by the dev's. Ask them to explain why.

There's a perfectly good guide in place of the old one, in fact it was written the very next day.

TheUni
theuni Wrote:There's a perfectly good guide in place of the old one, in fact it was written the very next day.

TheUni

You may think it's a good guide, but I prefer to test the svn releases of xbmc. And therefore is not suited at all for someone who wants a bare minimum install, which the previous guide covered.

For example there is a fix that is only partially going into the alpha release of xbmc but is not being fully integrated. Only the svn revisions is it going to be fully fixed in. Here's the link to it which I believe you, TheUni, had taken care of it:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6466

I think having a guide to test the development version in case you want to test it out and submit bug reports would be very helpful.
pyrates-

The team does not support svn builds in any way. They should be considered unstable and broken. We do stable releases for a reason. If you'd like to throw together an unofficial guide that's fine.

There are several guides on the wiki for compiling a SVN build. But this is hardly the same as installing a release on a htpc. We appreciate people who can build from SVN and submit quality bug reports. But to be frank, if users need a handholding guide to compile XBMC, maybe that's not the road they should take.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but it would be nice if this could just be an accepted change. It's not us vs. you. We just want to see the most users have the best possible experience with XBMC.

TheUni
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid)10