• 2(current)
[MOVED] Problems starting XBMC fullscreen
AllanMar Wrote:Just out of curiosity, have you tried what I been mentioning earlier as a problem? Try starting XBMC in Auto resolution, then goto settings, change to 1080 and hit test resolution, then try playing your video

Wow - well I thought my system just couldn't handle killa even with VDPAU, but I finally followed your instructions the right way, and indeed it plays completely smoothly following that sequence! I have only had this setup a few days... Thanks though - gives me hope...

My hardware:
AMD 5050e
MSI K9N2GM (8200)
1GBx2 800Mhz RAM

xnappo
All - regarding the 1080p dropped frames issue - not at home to try - but from the WARNING message - perhaps it would be a good idea to try commenting out all the supported resolutions other than 1920x1080 and see what happens if set to 'Auto'?

xnappo
mr.b Wrote:@AllanMar, @kross

I have an Asus M3n78-VM -- geforce 8200 based mobo and experience the same thing. It should be noted, however, that this is not specific to the VDPAU branch so this discussion should be taken to an appropriate thread as this is a general bug in XBMC. I tested the latest intrepid SVN PPA (r18324) and r18359 vdpau branch and both have the same behavior.

--Nick
I just tried and the non-vdpau branch plays much better than the vdpau brand (when started in 1080p). It dosnt play great, but its sorta watchable whereas when i start vdpau xbmc in 1080p its compleatly out of sync and unwatchable.

Can anyone with a better cpu (that can handle 1080p without vdpau) and has the problem i've been describing (works fine when started in auto and changed to 1080p, but not when started in 1080p) try the normal xbmc branch? I'm still not convinced if this is a vdpau branch problem or not.
motd2k:

You might not be the right person to answer this, mayb we should start a new thread. I wondering if theres some difference between whats done when the resolution is set at startup as opposed to when it is done through the GUI.

I'm also wondering what could be different with your setup vs my very similar hardware. What distro? I heard some distros still use the older XRandR 1.1 (I have XRandR 1.2).

EDIT: Also, killa is not primarily what im using for testing, although I have tried it.
AllanMar Wrote:motd2k:

You might not be the right person to answer this, mayb we should start a new thread. I wondering if theres some difference between whats done when the resolution is set at startup as opposed to when it is done through the GUI.

I'm also wondering what could be different with your setup vs my very similar hardware. What distro? I heard some distros still use the older XRandR 1.1 (I have XRandR 1.2).

Allan - did you try motd2k's latest SVN and not doing 'make install'? I also have pretty much identical hardware, and the only difference I can tell is that I used the 'min install' wiki, which includes running 'make install'.

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:Allan - did you try motd2k's latest SVN and not doing 'make install'? I also have pretty much identical hardware, and the only difference I can tell is that I used the 'min install' wiki, which includes running 'make install'.

xnappo
Im compiling the latest one now, i was using one from a day or two ago. Ive never been using make install. Are you saying yours is working fine now? (I thought you said a few posts ago you had the same issues I had)
AllanMar Wrote:Im compiling the latest one now, i was using one from a day or two ago. Ive never been using make install. Are you saying yours is working fine now? (I thought you said a few posts ago you had the same issues I had)

No! Sorry didn't mean to give you that idea - I am just living vicariously through you as I am at work and can't play myself Tongue . I am hoping the scaling change makes a difference. It is good to know 'make install' is not the difference. Still - there must be something else different.

mod2k - you are using Ubuntu 8.10 with no pulse? Are you using SPDIF/HDMI/Analog?

Thanks,
xnappo
I wonder if this could be related to the actual display. Unfortunatly I only have the one 1080p capable tv (Sony Bravia). Perhaps the different display modes are where the differences are.Ive also just noticed this in my Xorg.log

Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): The EDID for SONY TV (DFP-0) contradicts itself: mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     "1920x1080" is specified in the EDID; however, the EDID's
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     valid VertRefresh range (58.000-62.000 Hz) would exclude
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     this mode's VertRefresh (24.0 Hz); ignoring VertRefresh
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     check for mode "1920x1080".
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (30, 30); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) NVIDIA(0):     option
(==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
AllanMar Wrote:I wonder if this could be related to the actual display. Unfortunatly I only have the one 1080p capable tv (Sony Bravia). Perhaps the different display modes are where the differences are.Ive also just noticed this in my Xorg.log

Interesting. ONE time, I set the resolution to 1980x1024 30hz (something my TV does not support) and then 1080p played smoothly. After I exited XBMC however my TV was very sad (has weird lines across it on all inputs). I had to turn my TV off and back on to get it to work right again. I have not been able to recreate this though.

I have a Philips PFL7432D.

xnappo
xnappo Wrote:Interesting. ONE time, I set the resolution to 1980x1024 30hz (something my TV does not support) and then 1080p played smoothly. After I exited XBMC however my TV was very sad (has weird lines across it on all inputs). I had to turn my TV off and back on to get it to work right again. I have not been able to recreate this though.

I have a Philips PFL7432D.

xnappo
I'd have to guess this meant that XBMC did not actually goto that resolution when changed on the fly like that (otherwise i would think you wouldnt be able to see it). So mayb when were setting to 1080 on the fly, its going to something slightly different also and working..... (im grasping at straws mostly)

EDIT: Tried SVN:18401, mayb a slight improvement hard to say. Still pretty significant a problem. Still fine when started in Auto then changed to 1080p in the GUI though.
I see that it is possible to delete modes from xrandr using the 'delmode' option. Not sure how easy it is to undo though...

xnappo

[EDIT]
This guy's Boxee blog is interesting:
http://www.deviceguru.com/the-boxeebox-cookbook/
He is running something like this:
xrandr –output HDMI-2 –mode 720p1 –pos 0×0
sleep 1
/opt/boxee/run-boxee-desktop
xrandr –output HDMI-2 –mode 640×480 –pos 0×0

[EDIT2] motd2k - if you want us to take this to another thread, just say the word!
i hooked up my box to my 720p Tv (was testing on my 1080p capable monitor prior).. I don't see the same behavior on my TV that I did on my monitor. So, yes, I think it has something to do with the display.
I dont see this problem on 720p, period. Only 1080p, so I'm not sure thats convincing evidence this is display related....
AllanMar Wrote:I wonder if this could be related to the actual display. Unfortunatly I only have the one 1080p capable tv (Sony Bravia). Perhaps the different display modes are where the differences are.Ive also just noticed this in my Xorg.log

Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select"
(==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
(==) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 1920 x 1080
(--) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (30, 30); computed from "UseEdidDpi" X config
(--) NVIDIA(0):     option
(==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.

That is not uncommon on new TV's. If you follow this link and do what it says to do you will come up with all the modes and refesh rates that your tv model will support. I find I have had to do this with all my Tv's as the native resolution option is nice but not always the answer and it defaults to nvidia auto-select for modes.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1003099&page=2

Regards,

Dave
mr.b Wrote:i hooked up my box to my 720p Tv (was testing on my 1080p capable monitor prior).. I don't see the same behavior on my TV that I did on my monitor. So, yes, I think it has something to do with the display.

I don't think that is conclusive - if I set XBMC to 720p on my 1080p TV, Killa plays smoothly no matter what.

xnappo
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[MOVED] Problems starting XBMC fullscreen0