• 4(current)
[LINUX] Asus Pundit P4-P5N9300 Media Center Remote Control and LIRC?
MP3HiFi Wrote:Hi,

mine isn't working right now.

I downloaded and installed the new lirc. The file /lib/modules/2.6.28-15-server/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko exists.
Any idea?

PHP Code:
root@HTPC:/usr/src/lirc-0.8.6pre1# sudo modprobe lirc_it87
FATALError inserting lirc_it87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-server/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko): No such device or address
root
@HTPC:/usr/src/lirc-0.8.6pre1# mc

root@HTPC:/usr/src/lirc-0.8.6pre1# mc

root@HTPC:/usr/src/lirc-0.8.6pre1# sudo modprobe lirc_it87
FATALError inserting lirc_it87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-server/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko): No such device or address
root
@HTPC:/usr/src/lirc-0.8.6pre1# dmesg |grep lirc
[    9.462955lirc_devIR Remote Control driver registeredmajor 61
[    9.496906lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
[    9.496963lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting..
[   
13.170037lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
[   13.170096lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting..
[   
56.464328lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
[   56.464387lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting..
[  
773.990635lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
[  773.990712lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting..
1019.134608lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
1019.134684lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting.. 
PHP Code:
dmesg
[    9.692055lirc_devIR Remote Control driver registeredmajor 61 
[    9.694561lirc_devlirc_register_pluginsample_rate0
[    9.694622lirc_it87no IT8705/12 foundexiting.. 

I think i had that error too once... Think i reinstalled and it worked... Are you sure you configured with right module before compiling?
I am using the Pundit P4-P5N9300 with Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC and would like to get the built-in IR receiver and remote control working. I have read through the tread, but I don't understand the instructions. Can anyone please write some detailed instructions on how to get the remote working with this setup?

For instance, be detailed on how to configure Lirc. I have not found any executable for Lirc. What are the config files that should be updated, and what parameters should be configured?
I have activated the IR in BIOS and installed Lirc 0.8.4 and Lirc-module-source from the package manager. But I cannot get it configured and I don't know how to install Lirc 0.8.6 on top of my installation.
kalimero Wrote:I am using the Pundit P4-P5N9300 with Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC and would like to get the built-in IR receiver and remote control working. I have read through the tread, but I don't understand the instructions. Can anyone please write some detailed instructions on how to get the remote working with this setup?

For instance, be detailed on how to configure Lirc. I have not found any executable for Lirc. What are the config files that should be updated, and what parameters should be configured?
I have activated the IR in BIOS and installed Lirc 0.8.4 and Lirc-module-source from the package manager. But I cannot get it configured and I don't know how to install Lirc 0.8.6 on top of my installation.

sudo apt-get install lirc (configure with the remote you want to use, i choose MCEUSB new Philips et al and emulated it with my logitech harmony 555) The remote that comes with the Asus Pundit is a MCEUSB compatible remote too.

sudo apt-get install dialog
sudo su
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.lirc.org/software/snapshots/l...e2.tar.bz2
tar xvfj lirc-0.8.6pre2
cd lirc-0.8.6pre2
sh setup.sh
Driver configuration(1) > IrDa/CIR hardware(6) > ITE IT8712/IT8705/IT8720 CIR port (3) and "save configuration & run configure" in first menu
make
make install
nano /etc/modules add lirc_dev and lirc_it87
nano /etc/lirc/hardware.conf change to this REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_it87"
reboot and test with "sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0" and press buttons.

otherwise try modprobe lirc_dev && modprobe lirc_it87 and see if you get /dev/lirc0 and try sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 and press buttons on remote.

To get it to work with xbmc you need to create and specify actions for the buttons in /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml
JS36 Wrote:sudo apt-get install lirc (configure with the remote you want to use, i choose MCEUSB new Philips et al and emulated it with my logitech harmony 555) The remote that comes with the Asus Pundit is a MCEUSB compatible remote too.

sudo apt-get install dialog
sudo su
cd /usr/src
wget http://www.lirc.org/software/snapshots/l...e2.tar.bz2
tar xvfj lirc-0.8.6pre2
cd lirc-0.8.6pre2
sh setup.sh
Driver configuration(1) > IrDa/CIR hardware(6) > ITE IT8712/IT8705/IT8720 CIR port (3) and "save configuration & run configure" in first menu
make
make install
nano /etc/modules add lirc_dev and lirc_it87
nano /etc/lirc/hardware.conf change to this REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_it87"
reboot and test with "sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0" and press buttons.

otherwise try modprobe lirc_dev && modprobe lirc_it87 and see if you get /dev/lirc0 and try sudo mode2 -d /dev/lirc0 and press buttons on remote.

To get it to work with xbmc you need to create and specify actions for the buttons in /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml

I have no /dev/lirc0, so I cannot run mode2 -d /dev/lirc0. The only thing resembling lirc0 is /dev lircd.

When I run modprobe lirc_it87 I get
FATAL: Error inserting it_87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko):Operation not permitted.

Any clues as to what may be wrong?
kalimero Wrote:I have no /dev/lirc0, so I cannot run mode2 -d /dev/lirc0. The only thing resembling lirc0 is /dev lircd.

When I run modprobe lirc_it87 I get
FATAL: Error inserting it_87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko):Operation not permitted.

Any clues as to what may be wrong?

Run like this couse you need to be root.
"sudo modprobe lirc_dev"
"sudo modprobe lirc_it87"
JS36 Wrote:Run like this couse you need to be root.
"sudo modprobe lirc_dev"
"sudo modprobe lirc_it87"

I have tried to run with sudo as well.
kalimero@HTPC:~$ sudo modprobe lirc_dev
[sudo] password for kalimero:
kalimero@HTPC:~$ sudo modprobe lirc_it87
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_it87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko): No such device or address

So for the first command nothing happens (and no process seems to be started). For the second command I get the same error as other people in this thread have been getting.
Any ideas? I am grateful for all the help I can get as I really want to get the remote working for my HTPC.
Do you have any /usr/src/linux? Does it point to the kernel you are using?
JS36 Wrote:Do you have any /usr/src/linux? Does it point to the kernel you are using?

No, I don't have any /usr/src/linux pointer. I checked on another computer that is also running on Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit and it is missing there also. Should there always be a pointer to the kernel in /usr/src/linux ?
How can I set it up?
kalimero Wrote:I have tried to run with sudo as well.
kalimero@HTPC:~$ sudo modprobe lirc_dev
[sudo] password for kalimero:
kalimero@HTPC:~$ sudo modprobe lirc_it87
FATAL: Error inserting lirc_it87 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/ubuntu/lirc/lirc_it87/lirc_it87.ko): No such device or address

So for the first command nothing happens (and no process seems to be started). For the second command I get the same error as other people in this thread have been getting.

Sorry to say I have the same problem. I have the pointer to my linux kernel:
diff@erence:~$ ls -l /usr/src/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root src 41 2009-09-09 09:43 linux -> /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic/

diff@erence:~$ uname -r
2.6.28-15-generic

tail -f /var/log/messages;
Sep 9 10:56:13 myth kernel: [ 5565.588511] lirc_dev: lirc_register_plugin: sample_rate: 0
Sep 9 10:56:13 myth kernel: [ 5565.588596] lirc_it87: no IT8705/12 found, exiting..

I have compiled lirc a number of times and made all edits to config files.

However, I notice that the default IRQ channel for lirc is 4. Mine is set to 11 / 310. Can this be the cause of my problems and how do I go about to resolve it?

Thanks! (Awsome thread for fresh Pundit owners)

Asle
for all who have problems with

Code:
modprobe lirc_it87

do you have enable irc in the bios?
I didn't had to force to use some specific IRC-adress even if i tested it. Does the compilation works fine without errors?
I'm not sure if you must have a /usr/src/linux but i think the install uses that when installing the modules? Someone else might know that better.

sudo ln -s /usr/src/[kernel you are using] /usr/src/linux
darkattraction Wrote:for all who have problems with

Code:
modprobe lirc_it87

do you have enable irc in the bios?

I cannot find any irc setting in the BIOS. Am I missing something here?. I have enabled CIR port 310 and CIR IRQ 11.

Asle
aslef Wrote:I cannot find any irc setting in the BIOS. Am I missing something here?. I have enabled CIR port 310 and CIR IRQ 11.

Asle

No, it's okay
sorry to ask you the question but are you sure you downloaded the right version of lirc http://www.lirc.org/software/snapshots/l...e2.tar.bz2?
darkattraction Wrote:No, it's okay
sorry to ask you the question but are you sure you downloaded the right version of lirc http://www.lirc.org/software/snapshots/l...e2.tar.bz2?

Yes. That's the one. Compiles without any errors. Some warnings but nothing major.

Asle
I have added the /usr/src linux pointer to the kernel. But just like aslef I am still getting the same error when trying sudo modprobe lirc_it87.

I have recompiled, but still with the same result...
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Asus Pundit P4-P5N9300 Media Center Remote Control and LIRC?2