• 5(current)
XBMC not deriving watched status from .nfo files
I'm planning on removing it (as well as cleaning up the xml based export in general) as this is completely the wrong place to be storing this sort of information. It's non-static information so should not be stored in this way.

For those wanting to backup their library to multiple machines, we support dumping to a single XML file for just this purpose. It should be trivial for the tools to support this.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Ah, bummer...

At some point the movies that are in their current structure on their one machine, will end up in entirely different directories when they are moved to a RAID on stored on a shared level instead of split up across five different HDs... if the watched status in the nfo, it would be no big deal to move my library around and import it elsewhere.... if it only exports to the single XML, then it will be lost if the same directory structure isn't maintained (at least I think - maybe I don't understand the single file XML export??)

For someone who has a large library of 1000+ movies and countless TV shows, that's a lot of "Did I watch this?" :p

But if you think removing it is best... well, XBMC is pretty freaking awesome, so you seem to know what you're doing Smile
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
The single XML file does contain references to paths, but it would be not too much difficulty to do some search n replaces on that for when you move it.

In the future we're planning to detach (as much as feasible) the metadata from the file locations to prevent this sort of thing ever being an issue in the first place.

EDIT: I should note here that the only case in which it makes sense for playcount etc. could be placed next to the media is if it's always placed next to the media and always kept up to date - i.e. as a form of "distributed" database. Unfortunately, though, we'll always have the issue of "what to do with this watched tag" where the two get inevitably out of sync. Thus the reason I don't like the idea.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Thank god. I am just converting to XBMC and am using Media Companion to tag all my files. I can't imaging having to mark over 2000 movies with watched/unwatched in the XMBC application.
Ah crap! When I updated from the early March build to the recent builds, my library was no longer recognized, so I had to rebuild it... gone is the watched status on 1200 movies and hundreds of TV shows...

Couldn't importing/exporting .nfos be an advancedsetting at least?
If you'd exported your db to a single XML file PRIOR to updating you'd have been fine.

Yes, big mistake on my part... user error! I did back up the myvideos.db, so at least I tried to do some kind of backup before a major update :p
Quote:For those wanting to backup their library to multiple machines, we support dumping to a single XML file for just this purpose. It should be trivial for the tools to support this.

Cheers,
Jonathan
When has this been introduced? I mean, what svn number.
28266 and later.

jmarshall Wrote:28266 and later.

This poses a serious problem, as that's not available as a nightly build, thus making it impossibile to properly and fully backing up before upgrading to the new builds that you've recently restarted building. Sad
Only if you have something earlier than that. Wasn't r28276 or some such the last build before the merge?

jmarshall Wrote:Only if you have something earlier than that. Wasn't r28276 or some such the last build before the merge?
Nope, 28256 it's the last one I see. And I'm on 27xxx or something. February build.
ashlar Wrote:Nope, 28256 it's the last one I see. And I'm on 27xxx or something. February build.
Ashlar - when did you last check, builds are now up and running again - latest build is r31294
Hi steelman, I did check and I know that they are up and running. I guess I'll explain more clearly:

Having seen the builds have started again, I would like to upgrade. To try new features, express my opinion on them, bug report... the usual stuff.

I wouldn't want to miss the watched status info, though. And I discovered that it needs 28266 to be done. The last build available, before they stopped producing them, is 28256. So I can't backup the watched status and I am at the mercy of the upgrade process working with no problems.
I see - yeah quite the conundrum. Just thought you hadn't found your way to the nightlies after they started up again.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not deriving watched status from .nfo files0