• 6(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
I would have thought 512Mb should be enough for the OS, X & XBMC.
FlappySocks Wrote:I would have thought 512Mb should be enough for the OS, X & XBMC.

someone reported that the 512mb for gpu doesnt present itself as an option until you have 2gb present in the system.. but TBH I suppose we will have to wait for a report on that fact.
Can someone confirm that this will run xbmc fine with the 1gb version? Or if it's possible to upgrade the 1gb model with more memory.
magho - how is flash playback on the Revo from what I have read it sounds like HD content should playback fine but full screen HD flash video will jump.

Quote:Unfortunately, Flash video playback was a real trial for the Revo. Hulu played fine at low-res inside a window, but when we went fullscreen it got all choppy. YouTube was surprisingly even worse, not managing a full frame rate at even low quality.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/acer-...vo-review/

Maybe this is only the case when your running windows vista. Would be great if someone could confirm that full screen flash runs smoothly under linux.
Question 
Hi! does anyone know if the Acer Revo is already available in the US or when it will be released ? I want to buy one of them right NOW but it seems that's only available in the UK Sad

TIA
LU.
medicineuk Wrote:magho - how is flash playback on the Revo from what I have read it sounds like HD content should playback fine but full screen HD flash video will jump.

Well, I haven't tried but since you can't play Flash video using vdpau it's pretty obvious it won't work.
magho Wrote:Well, I haven't tried but since you can't play Flash video using vdpau it's pretty obvious it won't work.

have you tried standard def flash video fullscreen?
Grrr, Just tried to order to 1gb model from play.com but it's out of stock Sad Guess I will either have to pay extra for the windows version or wait for it to get back in stock.
permagnus Wrote:Grrr, Just tried to order to 1gb model from play.com but it's out of stock Sad Guess I will either have to pay extra for the windows version or wait for it to get back in stock.

try here

http://www.pconestopshop.com/products.as....G1DYZ.UF0

or here

http://www.simplyacer.com/Product/id/625111
Thanks, to bad they don't have free shipping within EU (I live in sweden)
I am experiencing jerky playback with the Revo and 1080p mkv files. VDPAU is enabled, and XBMC tells med that there are no dropped frames during playback, even though it really looks like its dropping a lot. CPU usage is around 20%.

Im using the Revo with 2gb ram, 512 dedicated to GPU in BIOS. Experiencing the same problem with both XBMC live and XBMC under a regular Ubuntu installation.

Anyone having the same problem, or have any idea what could be wrong? 720p seems to play without any hickups.
Using Kodi for live TV with Tvheadend.
A friend of mine has one and it seems to be fine on all of the 1080p content he has. What bitrate is the content, where is it being played from, log, etc....
Im not at home ATM, so not able to create any log files right now.

The content im using is mkv files with 10-20mbit/sec played over the network from a file server. It works great on my other self-build mediacenter, so the network should not be the bottleneck.
Using Kodi for live TV with Tvheadend.
Hi,

this is a nice article about the platform.
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/13498/40/1/0/

What bothers me is the fan noise that is reportedly loud. Damn.
A question to anybody owning the HW; what is your experience about fan noise while playing 720p or 1080p?
drefas Wrote:I am experiencing jerky playback with the Revo and 1080p mkv files. VDPAU is enabled, and XBMC tells med that there are no dropped frames during playback, even though it really looks like its dropping a lot. CPU usage is around 20%.

Im using the Revo with 2gb ram, 512 dedicated to GPU in BIOS. Experiencing the same problem with both XBMC live and XBMC under a regular Ubuntu installation.

Anyone having the same problem, or have any idea what could be wrong? 720p seems to play without any hickups.

Yes, I'm having the same issue. Don't have a solution yet...
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2