• 2(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48496 ..
CrashX Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=48496 ..

What does that have to do with the discussion here? We're talking about Linux here.
Ah I though we were talking about Acer AspireRevo ....
I found out that when i start it windowed and switch than via "\" to fullscreen it works much better. Looks like there are the same problems as with the 8200 mobos ?
MrDVD Wrote:Hallo, i have an Revo and have to say that 1080p didnt play very well atm. I run 19616 on several PCs with P5N7A-VM Mobos and the work a lot better Sad The strange part is that VDR with xine works also on the Revo almost perfect.

I played also already with the bios settings (HT on/off).

MrDVD, could you please check if the Revo has digital audio output from the headphone jack (like the Mac Mini does..)? Might be in the documentation that came with it our if you have the equipment, could just check I guess.

Thanks!
Quote:This system is equipped with an Atom N230, 1.6 GHz, single-core CPU and two gigabyte RAM. So when you're playing a video not supported by vdpau then the picture changes. In this case you will be able to play at max 720p videos. The CPU is way to slow to play 1080p.
Ok. So as long as you're running VDPAU you're safe. Are there any reasons not to run VDPAU? What kind of video's are not supported by VDPAU?

To me this Nvidia Ion platform sounds like a dream come true. Low-power usage 1080p XBMC! Because of the low power consumption you can probably leave the system running 24x7, so no boot times as well. And with the standard hardware it will be easier to fix XBMC issues and get everything to work as more and more XBMC people will use it.

Will this stay a dream? Or will it become reality in the near feature...
Exclamation 
Does the Acer AspireRevo really offer dedicating 512MB RAM to the graphics? in BIOS? Huh

...if not then you will not be able to playback high-bitrate 1080p Blu-ray disc backups.

If it only allows to dedicate 256MB or less to the GPU then it won't playback all 1080p.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Gamester17 Wrote:Does the Acer AspireRevo really offer dedicating 512MB RAM to the graphics? in BIOS? Huh

...if not then you will not be able to playback high-bitrate 1080p Blu-ray disc backups.

If it only allows to dedicate 256MB or less to the GPU then it won't playback all 1080p.

Yes the Revo offer 32,64,128,256 and 512MB @ the Bios.
The Problem with play mkv's looks for me atm more XBMC related as the same files play fine via xineliboutput(vdr plugin) and the gnome-mplayer.
Thats not strictly true, thats like comparing apples and oranges. They have a significantly lower rendering overhead.
Well i dont know the programming background, but for me as enduser i can only count the result and this is atm:

1. no way to play an 720p or 1080p under ubuntu 9.04 with vdpau inside xbmc (alll the 100% cpu load)

2. same files play fine under xineliboutput (8-15% cpu load)

But realy strange is that i also cant play this files with mplayer commandline but the play fine inside gnome-mplayer (both time set -vo vdpau)

I also tested diff nvidia drivers (180.53 and 185.18.04) and with and without composite.
Are you changing the render to VDPAU when you are playing the video ? Default is auto ..
Yes i did, as this auto never worked for me (also not on other PCs)
Auto is not suppose to work right now, YOU MUST SET IT MANUALLY TO "VDPAU"(!), see:
http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/x...issues.txt
Quote:*) VDPAU is still a new and experimental feature. It is disabled by default and
will NOT be selected if renderer is set to 'Auto', it must be set manually.
Ensure that the latest drivers from NVidia are installed. As of this writing,
>180.44 is sufficient. It is known that certain subtitles may not be displayed
when VDPAU is enabled.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
100% CPU usage sounds more like the composite extension not being disabled, or vsync not being enabled. Its certainly not normal.
MrDVD Wrote:1. no way to play an 720p or 1080p under ubuntu 9.04 with vdpau inside xbmc (alll the 100% cpu load)

2. same files play fine under xineliboutput (8-15% cpu load)

But realy strange is that i also cant play this files with mplayer commandline but the play fine inside gnome-mplayer (both time set -vo vdpau)

I also tested diff nvidia drivers (180.53 and 185.18.04) and with and without composite.

But there must be something wrong. There are people having success with xbmc on aspire revo out there:

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=h...e&ie=UTF-8

And I've seen XBMC with vdpau on another box with 9400 GeForce and Core2Duo, which had about 5 % CPU usage while playing 1080p mkv with high bitrate. Of course the atom 220 is far slower, but not by factor >20. Same with difference to xine...

There must be something wrong with your setup. Have you tried the live DVD?

edit:
Have a look at the comments from:
http://translate.google.de/translate?js=...ry_state0=

They say, that they used the 9.04 live DVD, the only change was setting HDMI as audio output device. They report to run 1080p with 20% CPU usage which sounds more reasonable to me than 100%.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2