• 9(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
Probably have to tick the IEC958 in the Volume Control options box.
how the revo perform with a external blu-ray driveHuh
Other websites have reviewed the revo using an external blu-ray drive and found movies to playback fine. Bottom line, so long as a task is GPU accelerated by the 9400m you should not have issues.
does usually the xbmc use the GPU to accelerate videos from blu-ray and video files like mkvHuh?
gui Wrote:does usually the xbmc use the GPU to accelerate videos from blu-ray and video files like mkvHuh?
I'm not sure on the specifics, but basically xbmc can take advantage only of nvidia graphics cards (because they released the drivers or something). It is referred to as vdpau.

Also, just to double check- this is basically the same thing that is in the acer and would work just the same for building your own, right? The n330 is only $30 more. I'm thinking it might be safer to go with it to avoid the occasional hickup.
I'm still having some issues with choppy video's (1080p). When I look at the xbmc.log file I can see this:

09:49:17 T:2860473232 M:1294643200 DEBUG: FileCurl::Open(0xaa7f406c)
09:49:17 T:2860473232 M:1294151680 DEBUG: FillBuffer: curl failed with code 3
09:49:17 T:2860473232 M:1294151680 ERROR: CFileCurl::CReadState::Open, didn't get any data from stream.
09:49:17 T:2860473232 M:1294151680 DEBUG: FileCurl::Close(0xaa7f406c)
09:49:17 T:2860473232 M:1294151680 NOTICE: AudioScrobbler: Unable to handshake: sleeping...
09:50:45 T:2227174288 M:1294229504 DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:2181548028.386029, should be:2181558032.728127, error:10004.342097

Anyone?
How about the fan utilization/noise?

Currently I use a Mac Mini running Ubuntu as my HTPC but I cannot use XBMC since the fan runs all the time being annoyingly audible even when XBMC is idle.

Is this also the case with the Revo?
Is there any UK shop who has the revo 1gb version in stock that also ships to Germany? I can't find one...
A little OT, but i heard it's not possible to have electronics (at least computers) shipped from the UK to Germany.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Acer Outlet ship to EU, though the 1GB Revo is only available for pre-order.

It seems for the 1GB Revo whatever small batches that shipped have sold out, only the more expensive 2GB version is in stock.

The Acer SKU for the 1GB Revo is 92.G1DYZ.UF0 if you want to try searching for it.

Edit: Amazon UK say 1GB Revo stock due in on 6th of June so I'd keep an eye out on various online stores that day or after just in case they are right.
Thanks Starstream. Seems like I'll have to wait until it ships out again.

AcerOutlet charges 40 pounds for shipping to germany Eek
Perhaps the reason the 1GB model is so hard to find is because it will be refreshed very shortly:

"However, an Acer staffer told Register Hardware the 8GB SSD will be replaced with a 160GB HDD once the initial stock of 8GB machines has been sold. The HDD-fitted Linux boxes will also be priced at £149, he said"

I certainly think a 160GB HDD is a better option to the 8GB SSD.
Now if only it had 2GB of RAM by as standard....
I'd prefer it without the mechanical HDD - it's going to add noise, albeit a tiny amount, whereas the SSD is silent. Surely ppl who buy a Revo aren't planning to store their media on it? If so, 160Gb isn't enough by far.
evilhomeruk Wrote:I'd prefer it without the mechanical HDD - it's going to add noise, albeit a tiny amount, whereas the SSD is silent. Surely ppl who buy a Revo aren't planning to store their media on it? If so, 160Gb isn't enough by far.

True. I was looking forward to the SSD edition, since i have all my files on an NAS in the basement. Too bad i wont get one Oo
taking into account the low speed of these low-cost low-capacity netbook SSDs, you might be best off booting from an SDHC card. I'm booting XBMC live from an 8GB SDHC, works like a charm. also, the 160GB hitachi hard disk is VERY silent. only thing you'll hear is the fan. and as long as you can't run the revo fanless, it makes no sense to go for an SSD option.
and please bear in mind that 1GB RAM is really not much memory as the GPU needs at least 256MB from the system RAM, leaving your operating system with well under 1GB.
the ideal option for me really was to have 2GB model with win7 on the hard disk and XBMC live on an SDHC card. I can simply unplug the card when rebooting and the revo goes into win7.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2