• 11(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
or configure it manually as described here ...
Thanks, I had tried that but I can't get past step 1:

1. Verify that your network device ("wlan0"?) is working & your wireless network is detected:

Quote:
iwconfig

Quote:
sudo iwlist scan

I get -bash: iwconfig: command not found
Where did you get the latest firmware update from?

Pete
Are you asking me? if you are I didn't even know there was a firmware update for the revo...Huh
Sorry, no.. I was asking Hannes the Hun....

Pete
and here's the hun! Big Grin

it's kinda hard to find and impossible to direct link, so here's the how-to:

1. go to the international acer support site
2. choose desktops, aspire, R3600 (that's the Revo)
3. select BIOS, get Bios revision R01.A1 it's actually revision P06 rom in the zip file as some versions previously were borked and deleted from the support site (we still don't know what's so special about the linux release, maybe splashtop and SSD related stuff)
4. Huh
5. PROFIT!

again, as the support idiots from acer don't give change logs (and only provide a horrible OEM flash tool from AMI), we have no idea what exactly was changed, but the broken HDMI from the previous versions definitely is gone. everything works as it is supposed to be, but that also was the case with the initial release A0 Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
JUICESIX90 Wrote:Thanks, I had tried that but I can't get past step 1:

1. Verify that your network device ("wlan0"?) is working & your wireless network is detected:

Quote:
iwconfig

Quote:
sudo iwlist scan

I get -bash: iwconfig: command not found

make sure that you have 'wireless-tools' installed.
How do you do that?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I take it it's one of these? http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/wireless-tools

How would I go about installing it on the Revo.
Hello,

I've just sold my HTPC, cause i couldn't get XBMC to work with the receiver i have, witch doesn't have HDMI on it. (old hardware/mobo)

I have to have to sound over an optical cable. I'm about to buy an Acer Revo R3600, but the only question i have... will the sound over optical work with a cable like this :
http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/indetail.aspx when i'm going to use Unix and XBMC.... ?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Does anyone have a website witch ships the Revo 8GB version to the Netherlands? (Play.com doesn't ship computers to NL)

Thanks in advance!
Hannes The Hun Wrote:and here's the hun! Big Grin

it's kinda hard to find and impossible to direct link, so here's the how-to:

1. go to the international acer support site
2. choose desktops, aspire, R3600 (that's the Revo)
3. select BIOS, get Bios revision R01.A1 it's actually revision P06 rom in the zip file as some versions previously were borked and deleted from the support site (we still don't know what's so special about the linux release, maybe splashtop and SSD related stuff)
4. Huh
5. PROFIT!

again, as the support idiots from acer don't give change logs (and only provide a horrible OEM flash tool from AMI), we have no idea what exactly was changed, but the broken HDMI from the previous versions definitely is gone. everything works as it is supposed to be, but that also was the case with the initial release A0 Wink

Hi,

from what I've seen in the archives, the difference is only that the linux one is design to be flash from a "dos" floppy/usb key.
The other one is design to be flash directly from Windows...

Regards,
Typhoe
I dunno, somebody from the revousers forum stated that the rom files are not identical
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I just grabbed a cheap no name VIA card with SPDIF and wired up a coaxial output to it, works fine. When it comes to digital, the device does not matter, it can be cheap as chips and stuck together with chewing gum, the quality will be the same.

You can get adapters for optical to coax, and the other way around from ebay and the like, they are cheap enough too, just use that.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif Wrote:I just grabbed a cheap no name VIA card with SPDIF and wired up a coaxial output to it, works fine. When it comes to digital, the device does not matter, it can be cheap as chips and stuck together with chewing gum, the quality will be the same.

You can get adapters for optical to coax, and the other way around from ebay and the like, they are cheap enough too, just use that.

For who was your comment? Huh
well, it was you who asked about external USB soundcards with SPDIF out Wink
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:well, it was you who asked about external USB soundcards with SPDIF out Wink

Sorry, i was a little confused, but i think i get it now. But does the solution from http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/micro/indetail.aspx work with the Unix/XBMC setup?

Do you think that's expensive 30 dollars?

So if i understand correctly you have found a cheap no name VIA card(that's the usb stick?) with spdif... and the you connected the spdif with coax to the receiver? ... that's what you sayHuh
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2