64Bit --> Problems?
Hello,
can I also use a 64Bit Ubuntu System instead of x86? Or will it cause problems when I use XBMC?
The latter in most cases. We're recommending 32bit until we get a chance to take a real look at 64bit.
Systems (that are more useful than the xbox) are 64bit, ram is cheap, storage is remote, ubuntu is bloated/quirky/high maintenance for devs/users, xbmc has some great 'low overhead' roots.

Looking forward for the day that xbmc (live) runs on it's own embedded, stripped down system (with a tiny x session and browser).

I'd like to see the minimum requirements for xbmc have the ram size increased (!) and (drastically...) reduce the usb/whatever 'live' bootable media to a fraction.

I'd not like to see 'please submit a new os backend patch' but always enjoy the 'head biting offs' I deserve for being so ungrateful.
I'd like to honestly see one valid reason where you'd need more than 4Gb of ram even playing back uncompressed 1080p video.
The playback and caching isn't going to use a huge amount relatively, 'full' embedded os' don't use a huge amount - xbmc and its skins/library/cache might, and it would be nice to run browsers and some of the infinite other 3rd party apps.

ps. You missed (I think) the word 'embedded'
hazeh Wrote:The playback and caching isn't going to use a huge amount relatively, 'full' embedded os' don't use a huge amount - xbmc and its skins/library/cache might, and it would be nice to run browsers and some of the infinite other 3rd party apps.

ps. You missed (I think) the word 'embedded'

No it's not going to be using anything near that even with skins and library. I personally had 512mb on my HTPC for a really long time running XBMC just perfectly, even if you decompress a 1080p over network and decoding it won't use that amount of memory.

For instance ATV only has 256mb of ram and it can play 720p with no problems (disclaimar: The CPU is slow as crap so it won't do 720p at anything which is encoded greatly).

I don't own one so I can't say for certain how it handles skins but I'm betting it should do that great aswell.

XBMC is from the ground up designed to be used in a memory constrained (read embedded) enviornment.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
64Bit --> Problems?0