How does XBMC Live boot work?
Question 
Hi, I tried to install XBMClive but it doesn't work for my machine - so I did a regular installation of ubuntu 9.04 and installed then xbmc, lirc,...
Then I tried the autostart described in this Thread . It works but I can't use the shutdown panel in XBMC.
The shutdown works in the Live-dist, so I tried to figure out how it works.
I found out that the Livedist uses /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh and /etc/init.d/xbmc so I transfered this file to my normal installation, set the runlevel for /etc/init.d/xbmc modified the script so it uses my user instead of user xbmc. But after a restart I get a login promt. xbmx starts but doesn't show up. Any Ideas what I did wrong?
When I login and start xbmc, the shutdown also doesn't work - it just restarts xbmc....
No need for some fancy tutorial.
After you install Ubuntu click System----Preferences---Startup Applications----Add XBMC to the startup.

/usr/bin/xbmc -fs

The S key will bring up the shutdown menu. ActivateWindow(shutdownmenu)
It's still abit hard to navigate our wiki so here.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step

Last step is to get xsessions.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
@Topfs2: Yes I know this howto from the wiki - thats what I tried. But after installing xbmc synaptic deinstalls gdm automatically. So I tried to set the autologin - but after logout I couldn't set the session to xbmc (no entry).

@FishOil: I dont't want to boot into gnome, and then start xbmc. And the shutdownmenu doesn't work either - it just exits xbmc .

What I try to to is to get a similar boot like the live-CD - that doesn't use gdm (and so doesn't boot into gnome) - and when I push shutdown in xbmc I really want to shutdown the system (/sbin/shutdown -> thats why I modified /etc/sudoers).

At the moment I can boot and start xbmc from a skript in /etc/init.d/xbmc - at runlevel 2, but the shutdown doesn't really work.

A second sideeffect is that this script (/etc/init.d/xbmc) calls another skript /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh . If I boot the system /etc/init.d/xbmc calls /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh - that works - xbmc starts and shows up. But when I modify the script /etc/init.d/xbmc and try to run /usr/bin/runXBMC.sh in Backgroud (/usr/bin/runXBMC.sh &) form the init-skript the my boot ends in a login promt.... any ideas why this happened?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51713

Wink
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
IMHO, doing the XBMCUbuntu is hardly needed here.

But Fishoil, I forgot that the wiki haven't been changed to say that you need to:
sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone
for xsessions.

So just do that and it should work.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Hi again - I did a fresh installation with this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51713 tutorial - and it works perfectly... Thanks a lot!
Yes, please add
Quote:sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone
to the wiki. I could not find any reference to this package before I by accident found it in the package manager. Not the first place to look when you do not know an extra package is needed...
not needed, xbmc-live will bring it in automatically (dependency)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does XBMC Live boot work?0