Start on XBMC, exit to Gnome ?
Question 
Hello,

I just got a ASrock ION 330 and I wanted to use it as a HTPC + browser.
I'm a pure linux noob but finaly I got Ubuntu with latest nvidia drivers working with XBMC .
But I would start XBMC without gdm and be able to exit XBMC with 2 choices :
- shutdown
- exit and starting gnome for web browsing , other apps.

I found a tutorial to start without gnome , but for exiting , is there a simple way to do what I want ? Eek

Thansk in advance.
Why not run it on top of gnome? Put it in the autostart and it'll run xbmc on boot. exiting xbmc will bring you back to the gnome desktop. shutting down the system should still be able if you run it on top of gnome.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Or run the XBMC session. It drops out to login when you exit.
Pretty much what you want minus the extra login.
Haggy Wrote:Why not run it on top of gnome? Put it in the autostart and it'll run xbmc on boot. exiting xbmc will bring you back to the gnome desktop. shutting down the system should still be able if you run it on top of gnome.

Actually, I use this system . But I would to start faster XBMC and the overhead of GDM.

Quote:Or run the XBMC session. It drops out to login when you exit.
Pretty much what you want minus the extra login.

Basically, my wife could use firefox on the HTPC ... I don't think a linux CLI is WAF proof Laugh

Maybe a script at XBMC exit ?
Sade Wrote:Maybe a script at XBMC exit ?

that's exactly what i wanted to suggest next: write some script that runs xbmc after startup and waits for its exit. then run gnome or whatever DE you prefer. the xbmc-live script would be a starting point.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Well, test it before you knock it.
The session drop out to the gnome(?) Session handler(?) = Graphical login which with a dedicated surf user it will take her to the gnome.

But of course you can write a script. But the time to do that vs. The GDM overhead or the extra login.....
If all you want to be able to do is use firefox for browsing you could launch it from XBMC using the launcher plugin ?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35739

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Start on XBMC, exit to Gnome ?0