Navigation sounds lag with digital audio
I recently switched my audio to be played through my onboard Toslink (Nvidia CK8S on a MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum). I am running XBMC version 9.04.1 r20654 on mythubuntu on Ubuntu Hardy, installed from PPA repositories. I have previously uninstalled pulseaudio as it was failing to initialize too much for my tastes, and now I only occasionally get failure to initialize audio.

However, now when I try navigating, the sound lags. As I let xbmc sit idle, my speakers report "No digital data". After navigating for a while, it will start to play some sounds as if it's emulating dolby surround. If I stop, my speakers go back to the "No data" state and I will get a few seconds of no sound for a while if I start moving around again.

As far as I can tell, once the sound is initialized and I continually have sound playing, sound works.

When I drop back to analog sound, everything works as well.

My best guess is that xbmc is having to initialize sound every time it wants to play a navigation sound. Is there a way around this?
Not to flog an old horse, but this is the exact same problem that I'm having (except I'm using audio over HDMI).

Anybody out there have any explanation for this? Perhaps even a fix? Very much appreciated.
This happens to me as well on my revo using HDMI out. I haven't seen a fix.
I believe this is "normal" behavior for using digital audio in XBMC. At least, it's worked that way for me since I started using XBMC on the Xbox 4 years ago, worked that way in XBMC for Windows, and is now doing it in XBMC Live.

I believe that your because the menu sounds are intermittent vs. constant (as in video or music sound), the amp sort of "sleeps" when it doesn't detect digital sound, only to "wake up" when it does...and there's a bit of a delay before the sound.

I'll let someone tell me I'm wrong - but for me, this has ALWAYS been the way this feature has worked.
Yea, that definitely makes sense. When the sound kicks in, the amp wakes up.

I only wondered because other devices (like 360) don't seem to have this issue. Maybe because they're constantly pushing a signal out for sound.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Navigation sounds lag with digital audio0