• 11(current)
Is there a stand-alone media manager software application for music that suits XBMC?
does anyone know of a linux script that I can run on-the-fly as a daemon, so it auto-tags files as and when they come in ?

cheers
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

Hi,

How do you make xbmc look for locally stored music fanart.jpg & thumbnails ect, before it looks to the internet?

Thanks

John
yeroash Wrote:Firstly I use PicardTagger to identify most of my tracks; even ones with no tag at all (works using PUID of track) - Helps to fix incorrectly tagged tracks

Then I use MediaMonkey to sort them into folders. There are a few good addons/scripts to help you further available on their site. Some I use -
Batch Art Finder
Magic Nodes
Personal Tag Enhancer
Genre Finder
Lyricator
MediaMonkey is also able to find duplicates etc.

Hope that helps Smile
Thanks! I had a few problem tracks and this is working great!
simply place a folder.jpg and fanart.jpg in your artist directory.

eg

ARTIST
-->ALBUM1
-->ALBUM2
-->ALBUM3
-->folder.jpg
-->fanart.jpg

P.S - I personal have issues sometimes where XBMC bypasses some of these and downloads different ones from the internet anyway, which i have reported before but it seems developers don't seem to care as much about the music side of XBMC as they do about the Videos side.

RBX
rudeboyx Wrote:simply place a folder.jpg and fanart.jpg in your artist directory.

eg

ARTIST
-->ALBUM1
-->ALBUM2
-->ALBUM3
-->folder.jpg
-->fanart.jpg

P.S - I personal have issues sometimes where XBMC bypasses some of these and downloads different ones from the internet anyway, which i have reported before but it seems developers don't seem to care as much about the music side of XBMC as they do about the Videos side.

RBX

Did you post a bug in the tracking system?
Yes, i did, mind you this was way back when fanart was just introduced to the music section so it may have been fixed but then broke again. come to think of it i may have even raised it several times. kind of gave up on it and just manually adjust the screwed up ones. Iv raised many tickets over the years and they have all been resolved but not this one.

it also doesnt like it when you have this kind of lay out when you have a double CD album inside a root album folder. It takes the album cover and makes it the artist image, even if there is a folder image in the artist folder for this.

ARTIST
-->folder.jpg (Artist image ignored)
-->ALBUM1
---->ALBUM1CD1
---->ALBUM1CD2
---->folder.jpg (Album cover used as artist image)

RBX
Thanks Orbi; I missed that one. Glad its helping you guys. I forgot to add that I also use MixMeister BPM Analyzer (free) to add BPM info to tags.
In short, I have about 360 GB of music which is all tagged & named "properly" using Picard. Everything has artist thumbnails and cover art, and its generally as nice as possible. However, two items remain on my list in my quest to "finish" my library: Genre tags and Rating tags. By "Rating" I mean the tag that lets you assign a numerical value to a track based on how good it is.

What I want is some tool that will add this information into my collection's ID3 tags in an automated manner. I have made some progress on the genre front, as I have found a few tools that use Last.fm and seem to be a good fit. However, I don't know if what I'm using is necessarily "the best" solution, and would be more than happy for any suggestions.

As for ratings, I'm having very little luck in finding a way to "crowdsource" this issue.

Any ideas, gang?
Catchy Signature Here
SleepyP Wrote:I have made some progress on the genre front, as I have found a few tools that use Last.fm and seem to be a good fit. However, I don't know if what I'm using is necessarily "the best" solution, and would be more than happy for any suggestions.
Any ideas, gang?

It's a bit hard to know if you've found the best solution without knowing what solutions you've found? Plus, I guess, that knowledge might help other people. There's a Discogs component for foobar2000. Haven't used it much. I've seen some AMG-scraping tools for foobar2000 floating around as well.

I think the xbmc scraping is pretty good. You'd need to find a tool to parse the music database or maybe the .nfo files that xbmc exports and put the genres and styles in tags. Don't know if such a tool exists.

One obvious problem is that you're relying on some unknown person's opinion. Look up some reggae album in your favourite online database. Someone will think it is 'folk', someone else will call it 'blues'. You get the idea.

Personally, the whole genre thing drives me nuts. I think we'd be better off without it.
I agree, genre tags are more of a nuisance than anything with music as they are not standardised. Its been on my list todo for a long time to try and clean my genre tags up.. I think when I do get around to it, I'll just organise them into about 2 or 3 playlist representing different 'moods/categories' and then mass tag the genre tags in order to simplify things.
I have Media Monkey installed on my Win7 machine, I have my library in it being populated from my XBMC-LIVE HTPC. when making some changes to artist name xbmc doesn't take notice.

example: xbmc displays "The Steve Miller band" and "Steve Miller Band" "Vodoo Glow Skulls" and "Voodoo Glow Skulls" and several more minor spelling errors.

I fixed the mistakes using media monkey, but I can't seem to get XBMC to notice. I even went through the trouble of deleting my music library and rescanning everything into it.

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:I have Media Monkey installed on my Win7 machine, I have my library in it being populated from my XBMC-LIVE HTPC. when making some changes to artist name xbmc doesn't take notice.

example: xbmc displays "The Steve Miller band" and "Steve Miller Band" "Vodoo Glow Skulls" and "Voodoo Glow Skulls" and several more minor spelling errors.

I fixed the mistakes using media monkey, but I can't seem to get XBMC to notice. I even went through the trouble of deleting my music library and rescanning everything into it.

-=Jason=-

Hi Jason,
1. Make sure in MM the album/artist field has the targeted spelling. Not only the Artist field! Also, just in case, make sure the file name does not have the "wrong" spelling as a part of the file name.
2. Then run clean audio library in XBMC.
3. Rescan/update (whatever, do not remember) the music library.
It should be enough to show it right.
Good luck, Alex
I think it might be a problem with incorrect file naming in my case.

filename = The Steve Miller Band
Id3 tag = Steve Miller Band

I'll have to clean up the few songs that are named incorrectly

-=Jason=-
Flomaster Wrote:I think it might be a problem with incorrect file naming in my case.

filename = The Steve Miller Band
Id3 tag = Steve Miller Band

I'll have to clean up the few songs that are named incorrectly

-=Jason=-

You can set up your naming strategy in MM and then use Ctrl+R, so it will be always the way you want it.
Man, phew...It took a fews hours but I got my library's tags cleaned up with Picard. Now I need to rename and sort and will be good. Thanks again!
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is there a stand-alone media manager software application for music that suits XBMC?1