Hey guys new here.. dont know what to choose:
i currently have this setup:

Attic (Movie Room)-

42" LCD
media streamer with dvd (grabs movies from the bedroom pc)
surround sound etc

Bedroom -

32" LCD
PC (with all movies/music etc)

I just want to know something about this xbmc.

I currently have only had this set up for around 3days now (the media streamer can be sent back, owes me £90)

I have a original xbox that could have xbmc installed onto it (somehow)

Is it better to have the xbmc through the xbox or.

Running from my pc downstairs?

And if i wanted it running from the xbox, how would i stream my files from the downstairs PC through the xbox?

any help AT ALL would be muchly appreciated.

i have just come across the xbmc and i like the look of it.

comparing it to my media streamer i currently have, it looks 1,000,000 times better than it!!

I hope you guyscan help me ...

thanks you!!! MIKE
> I have a original xbox that could have xbmc installed onto it (somehow)
Yes, if it is soft/hardmodded you can add xbmc to the xbox

> Is it better to have the xbmc through the xbox or.
Depends, you want HD content, then the xbox isn't enough.. otherwise its awesome Smile

> Running from my pc downstairs?
You mean like having xbmc run downstairs and long audio/video cables?

> And if i wanted it running from the xbox, how would i stream my files from the downstairs PC through the xbox?
Through smb (windows network). Share folders on the PC and let xbmc connect to it.

Oh, btw.. welcome to the forums Wink
Trust me, XBMC is diffenately worth switching too. You can stream to an old x-box, you will have to mod it. It's not that hard and it works well enough. I don't use the x-box anymore as I have alot of HD content and it just can't do it. What I have done is convert old PCs to stream to the TV's. This requires only putting the XBMC program on it and pointing it to your SMB share. You can find the minimum requirements for computers on the main site. (Remember openGL 1.4! or higher, that was the only problem with any of the old comps I used.)

Prior to finding XBMC I was using Windows Media Center. This worked fine, but it really was limited as you couldn't play alot of different files on it. XBMC is continually updated, I haven't thrown a file type at it that it doesn't like. It's open source and alot of people MOD it on their own time. Also this is a very vocal group on the forums. If something is wrong the devs know it pretty quick and they are all over it. And if you have a question, there are a ton of people that have probably had the same problem and if it hasn't already been answered (search) then they are pretty quick to answer so the devs aren't having to focus on the boards all the time.

There really isn't anything that looks as cool either. Just take a look at the Aeon boards, they blew my mind when I saw them. I have all 6 of my TV's hooked up to my one PC that is working as a server. I am able to stream whatever content I want to any TV via ethernet and a small pc. My kids can each watch a show in their rooms while I enjoy a movie in the living room and the wife streams music to the PC in the kitchen.

Whenever people come over they are really blown away by what XBMC can do. All the MODs that are available really give you the capability to give each person a personalized viewing experience. I use Andyblac's Aeon MOD on most of the main TV's. My daughter likes the easy to use Transparancy! skin. My son likes Hitchers Aeon MOD.

I have a smart home, so all my rooms have ethernet prewired to them. I use a wireless router to join it all together. Most of my TV's are hard wired to it, but my laptops use wireless N and that works well. I am able to set out in the hot tub and wirelessly stream shows and movies to there.

As my wife says, I have become a fanatic with XBMC. I really didn't know much about computers or streaming when I started. I was able to hit the ground running and learn alot from the forum and the people on here. It really is amazing not only what the devs have done, but what people have done with their work. Thats not even mentioning the support programs written like Ember Media Manager that go out and find all the info, art, thumbs, trailers, and fanart, even though the native scrappers work really well.

Anyway, I have rambled on. I just want to welcome you to the great media experience! Trust me you're going to love it.
thank you very much for everyones replies!!

shen350 - what a big post, however i did read it and i think i am really tempted now. if you had very little knowledge on computers & streaming, then it cant be that hard for me as would say i am pretty advanced when it comes to computers, streaming, diagnostics etc. so you have definately put my mind at ease as i thought it might of been complicated and didnt know if i could be bothered trying it!

However!..

I just purchased a xbox 360 and having it modded to play "Backed up" games for in the attic when the lads comes round.. and im wondering if i should use that for xbmc instead, however i would rather try it out with my older xbox original, so i can find out if i will really like it or not (im sure ill never look back)

i cant wait to get set up, the attic is 90% complete, little bits on bobs need doing so at the moment ive not set everything up properly, i set it up the other day for a quick preview of what it will be like chillin up there, but i got carried away and didnt come out of the attic for 3 hours playin with my new toys haha....

thanks for the welcomes, i will be knocking about the forums soon!

no dubt ill be asking for help!

MIKE!!
xbmc will not run on xbox360, only xbox1
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hey guys new here.. dont know what to choose:0