NVIDIA Linux device driver update 185.18.29 has been released with many VDPAU fixes
alanwww1 Wrote:They are playing faster than their normal speed ?! Smile

Ayway i also tried the new driver and runs very fine. I suggest using the the nvidia driver team ppa. This way you will have auto update for the drivers and you don't have to recompile the driver when you have a kernel update. I did it this way:

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list #copy-paste the following to the end of the list
------------------------
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
------------------------

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 71609D4D2F1518FA9C5DC0FB1DABDBB4CEC06767
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic nvidia-glx-185
sudo reboot

After this you can update the driver and kernel any time (if available) with
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

Cheers

i dont know squat about linux, so let me ask you a dumb question. I can run this on the xbmc live install, and it will update the graphics drivers on my zotac ion system? I had used an older version of the restricted drivers integrated into my iso, but are you telling me if i do the above, that i'll be able to update from within my system?
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Evanrich Wrote:i dont know squat about linux, so let me ask you a dumb question. I can run this on the xbmc live install, and it will update the graphics drivers on my zotac ion system? I had used an older version of the restricted drivers integrated into my iso, but are you telling me if i do the above, that i'll be able to update from within my system?

Not sure about that, I tried it, but lost autologin and boot straight to xbmc, also had a problem with x server reporting different kernel version for nvidia drivers than I had. Best way is to wait that someone compiles restricted drivers img which you can add to xbmc live boot disk I guess.
ezechiel1917 Wrote:Not sure about that, I tried it, but lost autologin and boot straight to xbmc, also had a problem with x server reporting different kernel version for nvidia drivers than I had. Best way is to wait that someone compiles restricted drivers img which you can add to xbmc live boot disk I guess.

damn tried it before your reply. everything updated but then when i went to reboot, it would just sit at stage where it set my hard drives APM level...time to reinstall Sad
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Evanrich Wrote:i dont know squat about linux, so let me ask you a dumb question. I can run this on the xbmc live install, and it will update the graphics drivers on my zotac ion system? I had used an older version of the restricted drivers integrated into my iso, but are you telling me if i do the above, that i'll be able to update from within my system?

i ran it from safe mode. it worked. otherwise (ie. ctrl alt + f2) xbmc live is still running and the updating process gets screwed up (my guess). good luck with it!
Evanrich Wrote:damn tried it before your reply. everything updated but then when i went to reboot, it would just sit at stage where it set my hard drives APM level...time to reinstall Sad

I had the same problem. I checked the logs and there was an issue with the kernel. I executed this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)

as mentioned here:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Me...for_NVIDIA

and it rebuilt the kernel and everything worked after that.
Attempting to install newest drivers, getting an error x server is running... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
-Erik
burritoboy9984 Wrote:Attempting to install newest drivers, getting an error x server is running... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
-Erik

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
burritoboy9984 Wrote:Attempting to install newest drivers, getting an error x server is running... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
-Erik

Assuming you're using Ubuntu:

1. Ctrl-Alt-F2
2. Login.
3. # sudo service gdm stop
4. Run nVidia drivers binary & install.
5. # sudo service gdm start
6. # clear ; exit
7. Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to X/GNOME login screen.

Cheers,
Kermee
delete
"sudo pkill X" Works Smile

-Erik
* Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald [OK]
Setting volumes at 100%

* Checking battery state... [OK]
/dev/sda:
setting Advanced Power Management level to Oxfe (254) [OK]

I guess it didn't work, lol... doing a fresh install now... Anyone know how to add the drivers to an iso? Smile

-Erik
I am running the latest version of the driver installed from
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
on a Asrock ION 330.

It seem to work less good with VDPAU compared to the previous version. When I play the the killasample it doesn't seem that smooth and the cpu usage is clearly higher.

Not a problem for me in daily usage. Will probably install from scratch in a few weeks and see what happens.
Damn, that update killed my XBMC Live install as well.

Can somebody give instructions on using Aptitude to get the latest nVidia drivers when it was installed from XBMC Live?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Linux device driver update 185.18.29 has been released with many VDPAU fixes0