Proper way to upgrade from Jaunty PPA to SVN PPA? + How to enable VDPAU Temporal?
Question 
Hi All,

I'm an Ubuntu/Debian n00b and just basically got XBMC working on an ASRock 330 ION Nettop with Ubuntu 9.04 x86 Desktop. Things are going well including HDMI Audio after finding out that NVIDIA driver 185.18.29 breaks HDMI audio when you use 'Option "UseEDID" "FALSE"' in xorg.conf... but that's a different story.

I used the official Jaunty PPA repo and everything seems to be working fine except for de-interlacing 1080i MPEG-2 HD content from my MythTV/MythBox setup. There's suppose to be a "VDPAU (Temporal)" setting but I haven't been able to find it. (just "VDPAU"). I have a feeling I need the SVN PPA releases in order to get that option. So I guess my questions are:

1. Do I need the SVN PPA repo to get "VDPAU (Temporal)" or do I have to compile XBMC myself to get that functionality?

2. If it's available in the SVN PPA repo, what's the proper way to "update/upgrade" from the Jaunty PPA repo to the more "bleeding-edge" SVN PPA repo? (I'm still trying to get the hang of the package management system under Ubuntu/Debian). Do I just remove the Jaunty PPA repo, add the SVN PPA repo and do an update/upgrade?

3. If "VDPAU (Temporal) is in the mainline Jaunty PPA repo and I'm just blind to see where it is to turn it on, where is it? Wink

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Kermee
SVN PPA is described here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33327
First post, I'm just observing around, but interested to bump this for item #2 on how to do it. On my experiment:

- I removed jaunty PPA repo via "sudo apt-get remove xbmc"
- replaced Jaunty PPA repo to Jaunty SVN PPA repo in sources.list
- added Jaunty PPA repo key
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get install xbmc

It was working but hanging a lot (to fast scrolling, browsing while updating library, etc.), so I think I didn't do it correctly. Going back to Jaunty PPA repo build works fine again (if someone will be replicating this make sure to backup DB files, or else if you're reverting back as I did you would lose and rebuild your library).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proper way to upgrade from Jaunty PPA to SVN PPA? + How to enable VDPAU Temporal?0