Almost got it!
I almost have everything working here surprisingly. The only issue is sound. There is a 1080p MPG file I have that the audio works just fine. But then my mkv x264 files are all not working for some reason. Both AC3 files and DTS files. Do I need to install a codec or something?
Ok sound is not working at all now......not sure what the heck happened.
Did you unmute everything in alsamixer?
this happened to me to. i had all the audio working fine DTS and DD then suddenly it wasnt working i had to turn off dolby and dts to get stereo!!
Real shame cus i thought i finally had it!!
Well it's not DTS or DD idk what's going on it just stopped working all together. I think I may try a reinstall of the entire system cause I did change some files around before. Everything is unmuted. Basically I have the SPDIF out on my motherboard connected to my video card so it outputs SPDIF over HDMI. I'll report back later and let you know if things change.
Is there a better way to update ALSA? I found the script thing but it seems its really not the ideal way. Is there an installer or a way to update it via repositories? Maybe a 3rd party repository. So far though no sound.... Starting to think maybe I should get a new sound card.
I should clarify, sound is working, just the SPDIF is not...
Zomg, I got sound working Smile Ok here's something..I activated the Nvidia-GLX drivers via the restricted drivers thing which was version 180, well I installed version 190 via a deb package. How do I activate the newer driver?
Ok nevermind again I got that figured out as well. Seems everything is working although I have to say sound quality right now is pretty horrible......is there some kind of audiophile plugin or something for this?
Ok getting a bit frustrated now! Following this guide http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu#Te...on_of_XBMC

I get to the step where you do this

sudo apt-get install xbmc-live python-apt

and now suddenly sound doesn't work again! No idea what's going on here.... really frustrating though.
it seems that ALSA is not starting up when I boot straight to XBMC.
So yeah, it appears that when loading the XBMC front end instead of Gnome it does not load the Alsa stuff. I'm not sure why? It worked perfect when I had it running inside Gnome (the sound part anyways) but then when I had it load XBMC as a front end the sound does not work. If I close XBMC and run startx and start Gnome there are no ALSA devices in the volume list which leads me to believe it is not properly loading the ALSA modules or something.
UPDATE - just realised you were following the same guide as me.. I should also note that for the past 2 days, the ALSA Update scripts that have been knocking around haven't worked because ftp.alsa-project.org has been offline - could that be the root of your problems? I've just tested today and can now get into ftp.alsa-project.org, maybe worth trying the ALSA update script again?

--

Still, you may find resolutions to your issues @
http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2009/04/...io-at-bay/- Pulse Audio is installed with Ubuntu Desktop Edition, it can cause screwy volume including volume not being muted when muted, can also cause the channels to be muted on a reboot. This page will tell you how to disable / remove pulseaudio but also has links for betting understanding the audio modules etc.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/vani...ni-1120nr/ - after each reboot the mixers are muted, how to save and restore settings on each reboot.
The script in the guide has been working for me. I've also updated via other routes as well. I'll check out those other things.
Ok well, when I run XBMC as a session instead of the way that guide was saying it works fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Almost got it!0