[XBMCbuntu] hal, cdrom polling & disk activity optimisations
Recently I've been trying to adjust a few settings with regards to hal and disk activity. My system is XBMCbuntu install as described in stickies (PPA SVN Source). The following is some background...

Hal Polling cdrom
=============
During idle and normal playback, My HD Led constantly flashes twice every 2 seconds. This can be a little annoying in a dark room while watching a movie. This is due to hal polling the cdrom. I have found that I can disable this with the following.

Code:
sudo hal-disable-polling --device /dev/cdrom

And renabled with
Code:
sudo hal-disable-polling --enable-polling --device /dev/cdrom

This has removed one of the flashes but I still have one to go. This is my problem.
If xbmc is running, I still get the single flash every 2 seconds.
If xbmc is Not running, Its seems that all polling stops and HD LED flashes ceases(apart from normal disk activity)

What I have noticed also is that with hal polling being disabled, dvd/cdrom auto mount is still working with xbmc running. This leads me to believe that xbmc might have its own method of enabling some form of polling when it starts up that is not tied into hal. If so, can this polling be disabled? My DVD rom drive is SATA. xbmc.log shows the drive being mounted. Please request any additional info as Im not sure where to start looking.

The main reason for wanting to do this is that I suspect this polling activity impacts on video playback. I have occasionally noticed a slight studder in the video playback that seems to coinside with polling intervals.

Please do not make suggestions like disconnect the HD Led or disconnect your CDROM. Im hoping that people could share their knowledge to how they may have optimised thier systems with reagrds to disk activity / performance and hal.

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
there was a bug introduced recently that caused xbmc to continually try to poll and autoplay whatever was in the dvd drive.. you didn't specify which svn revision you were on but this was fixed a few days ago iirc.

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55723

Pretty sure the bug still exists in the latest svn ppa (21936) as it hasn't been updated for a week or so but I could be wrong.. you may fair better building your own or trying one the xbmc nightly builds (tho they don't have vdpau support from what i've read)
Issued upgrade but no changes as yet. Currently on svn ppa (21936). I'll wait till ppa is updated and notify.

Zepp
Updated to SVN 22097. I am still seeing xbmc polling the dvd drive. Is there a way to disable this ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBMCbuntu] hal, cdrom polling & disk activity optimisations0