Zotac Ion ITX A Wake on Lan S3
Hello,

an absolute linux-newbie needs some help with the Zotac Ion ITX A board running the latest Ubuntu and wake on LAN :-)

I recently activated WOL in the Zotac bios settings. It works fine, if the system is turned off, but i can not wake up if it is in suspend mode.

I use XBMC to put the machine into suspend. The orange network LED is on (in "power-off" mode and suspend mode).

Here is what i tried without succes:

- edited /etc/default/acpi-support: STOP_SERVICES="networking"
- edited /etc/rc.local: added "echo -n PCI0 | tee /proc/acpi/wakeup
"

It would be very nice to have wake up from Suspend. Are there any bios settings i have missed? Can you help me getting WOL in suspend to work?

Thanks
You need to "echo NMAC > /proc/acpi/wakeup" to enable it as a wakeup device. How in hell did you got normal WoL to work? The forcedeth module completely ruins the ethernet setup on shutdown for me. I can shutdown from the power button at grub and WoL all I want, but a clean shutdown fails.

A note to others, that "NMAC" bit is HW dependent, you'll have to take a peak in /proc/acpi/wakeup and decipher the alias for your ethernet card.
Thanks althekiller, but your method doesn t work either.

EDIT:

Great, now even the WOL in complete-off mode doesn t work anymore.
you might need to enable this as well via 'ethtool -s ethX wol g'
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Flow01 Wrote:Great, now even the WOL in complete-off mode doesn t work anymore.
Hahaha! Sounds exactly like my experiences! Smile You need to do what vdrfan recommended too.
i too would like to know how you got WOL to work from an off state. I have a tool in my smoothwall firewall that will WOL machines, it works great for my laptop and desktop, but when i send the command to wake up the zotact ion a-u, zilch....it just sits there like a bump on a log. the led is lit, i've turned on all the wake on's in the bios, and nothing. I've got rev 01 board as well, haven't tried wake on usb yet, would be happy enough with just wol for now...can you tell me what you did?
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hmmm... Get etherwake which is probably in your repos so get it via apt-get or aptitude. Once you have it installed, simply:

Code:
# ethtool eth0 | grep Wake

It should say something like this:
Code:
Supports Wake-on: pg
Wake-on: d

The d is disabled, but the "supports" part is important Smile

To enable WOL, simply:

Code:
# ethtool -s eth0 wol g

For it to survive a reboot, add it to your /etc/rc.local and you're good to go. It might be more complex given the whole suspend thing though...
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Thanks for your work gentlemen.

My WOL enabled xbmclive install on Nvidia Ion box now accepts wake up calls from my always on HP WinXPE thinclient running eventghost.

Do you understand the power I now command! Muahahaha.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Zotac Ion ITX A Wake on Lan S30