[LINUX] HQ Software upscaling for SD h264 and mp2 videos with VDPAU enabled
Dear Developers !

It would be just a little modification in the code, but this would make a noticable quality improvement for video playback.

I noticed that the high quality software upscalers (specialy Lanczos) make a huge quality difference when i play back SD content (DVD quailty 720x560 or so) on full HD resolution (1920x1080). I get much sharper image and even the diagonal lines are not pixellated at all. Just chek out the difference on these two zoomed screenshots.

Image Image
1.Detail with SW Lanczos upscaling and 2. Detail with HW bicubic upscaling

More comparison shots at this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56097

So the problem is the way xbmc treats the sw upscaling option in some cases:
Even if i have hq sw upscaling on (for SD files only), when VDPAU is enabled it is turned off no matter if i play a HD or an SD file. So for example if i play a DVD mpeg2 (or a DVD recoded to h264 mkv) file i have the worse quality HW upscaling even if i turn on HQ SW upscaling.

So my suggestion for a little modification would be the following:

IF HQ SW upscaling is ON for SD condtent, AND VDPAU renderer is set AND the played back content is SD XBMC should use GLSL renderer and HQ SW upscaling instead of VDPAU. Of course in case of HD content everything remains unchanged (VDPAU renderer with HW upscaling)

This little modification could result a better quality for peaople who are using the hq upscaler.

Thanks for the great work. XBMC is already the best MC app exists on earth.

Cheers,

Alan from Hungary

Ceated ticket
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7053
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HQ Software upscaling for SD h264 and mp2 videos with VDPAU enabled0