XBMC accesses some SMB folders but not others from same PC
Ok, so my old Dell server finally died. I built a new box with a lot of drive bays and SATA ports for future upgrades. XP Pro SP3 installed no problem.
Sharing - I had default simple file sharing set up, the same way the previous server was set up and the way the other PC on the network with DVD images is set up.
My videos are shared from two separate drives (Movies and TV shows), and they are accessed no problem.
I have audio files under a global AUDIO folder, broken out into Music, Soundtracks, Spoken Word, and a Test folder that I actually used for the first files I tried to access. The root AUDIO folder is shared. I can access Test just fine, but the other folders give me an error and a log in screen.
I checked the User accounts on the new server, and the Guest account is active.
I am getting "is not accessible. You might not have permissions" errors when trying to access from other Windows PCs as well. Again, for all of the folders under Audio except for Test. They are all shared the same way.

I tried turning off simple file sharing and setting permissions to everyone, but that didn't work. So I tried adding Xbox/xbox as a user, and adding Xbox to the allowed list, and that finally got me into the other audio folders from the xbox, but not from the other PCs.

It's really the odd behavior of the nested folders that is confusing me here. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe
people really need to read the sticky.... debug log and sounds like your server is locking the folders.. get a program like unlocker and see if they are..
Also check that the firewall isnt enabled..
Note also that folders have both Security as well as Sharing permissions attached to them. With SFS mode disabled, you should have access to both tabs on the Properties display.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Thanks. I ended up fixing it by sharing each of the subfolders. Everything is accessible from both XBMC and other PCs npw.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC accesses some SMB folders but not others from same PC0