Finally jumping back into XMBC
I have been using Tversity with a couple PS3's for delivery of my media server content the last couple years. Finally decided to build something that can run XMBC and handle HD. Been lurking for a while, now I am jumping in and building a box for the Linux version. Have compiled and played a little bit with the Windows version on my Media Server, actually use it for Music and Picture slideshows, the server is just not powerful enough for HD.

Ordered this today...

LIAN LI PC-C37B

It had the looks and quality I wanted for something going in the main entertainment center.

Plan to get these components when the motherboard is back in stock based on what I have been reading on the forum, this should suit me...
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Intel Pentium E5200

And then use 2x1gb sticks of Gskill high performance DDR2-800 I have on hand. (all of a sudden my gaming PC's MB did not like mismatched ram after a year and left the 2x2gb sticks in it).

Have not decided on HDD yet...I have a few Small capacity IDE drives not in use that I could start with, but may get a 1.5tb for OTA recording if I add a TV tuner.

Which leads me my first question. What is a recommend Dual tuner TV card for strickly OTA HD? I don't have cable or sat, I just record OTA HD with a Tivo today. I love the Tivo, which is why I do not know if I really need a capture card, but I also want to have fun with this build.

Also, I have a Microsoft MCE remote, can I use its IR with XMBC linux and use the keymap.xml for use with my Harmony 880?

Thanks for any input, I am looking to have some fun.
Natively XBMC doesnt have recording capabilities. Im assuming thats what you are getting at by asking what a good tuner card is.
SlaveUnit Wrote:Natively XBMC doesnt have recording capabilities. Im assuming thats what you are getting at by asking what a good tuner card is.

But I was guessing that any software that came with a tuner you could run it like an application.

(oh, and forgot to add in the OP that I have a spare Antec Earthwatts 430 that will power my setup).
TaeOH Wrote:Have not decided on HDD yet...I have a few Small capacity IDE drives not in use that I could start with, but may get a 1.5tb for OTA recording if I add a TV tuner.

Don't use IDE, definitely go with SATA. I'd recommend Western Digital HDD's.
I have a 500GB Black internal in my HTPC and (4) 1TB Green in an external Linux RAID5. Love them.
SlaveUnit Wrote:Natively XBMC doesnt have recording capabilities. Im assuming thats what you are getting at by asking what a good tuner card is.

Ok. Now I see why you mentioned this, I just read up on Mediaportal and the comparisons between it and XBMC. This has me wondering if I should change the MB/CPU combination to just go ahead and get a 3ghz Intel so that my software options are completely open. Plus running on Windows would allow windows gaming if I choose to set it up.
Ended up ordering the Asus P5N7A-VM and a 2.8ghz E6300 Pentium (the new wolfdale). I got sick of waiting for the Gigabyte board to get back in stock on Newegg. I will have to solve the GPU heat issues with the board, but once that is done by all accounts it is a great board.

Now I have the option to play with Windows apps too, this chip will easily oc above 3ghz if need be. But I honestly do not plan on playing much 1080p content, my TV is only 50" and even though it is 1080p, I see very little difference in 1080p v. 720p. So I encode all my blu ray's to 720p to save a ton on disk space. I figure I have a PS3 to play the disk if I really feel like I have too watch something in 1080p.

I am also getting an AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet and a 1.5gb HDD for recording TV.

So I am going to try XBMC live for linux off a flash drive, XBMC for Windows with an external app for TV and Mediaportal on this new build.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Finally jumping back into XMBC0