• 31(current)
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Hi flxfxp,

I didn't install several times to fix, but to test and report if is working.
All this time, since the problem with the key servers last month, the fixed script always worked in 9.04. But yesterday, with the launch of beta2, for the 1st time none of the scripts was able to successfully install xbmc. I do believe something change in beta2 (just guessing). My mistake was, since I can always count with fixed script to make work again, never make a backup with acronis. Now I'm unable to make work again (9.04 or 9.10)

Anyway, report the error will be the only way to really help the improvement of the script (and help is the only reason to install several times).

I'm not at home right now, but I will post the startx error ASAP. But is something about "can't found X, code 5". I also noticed if I run ' sudo nvidia-xconfig' will generate a clean xfree86.conf and not a xorg.conf.

In time, I don't know if I should move to 9.10 or keep with 9.04…

Cheers,
FireMan.
Hi flxfxp,

I've used your script a couple of times, but alas, it also doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.

I've traced the script on Jaunty by manually executing each individual step, and it seems to me that X.org is being installed incorrectly, or not at all, because the nvidia driver complains:

Quote:WARNING: Unable to parse X.Org version string.

sh: pkg-config: not found

when running nvidia-xconfig to generate the conf file. However, when I installed the xserver-xorg package, nvidia-xconfig seems to be able to find the version string, but still says
Quote:sh: pkg-config: not found

So, i proceeded to install pkg-config, now it seems to have generated a correct xorg.conf file. However, xbmc still refuses to run.

Will continue testing.
flxfxp Wrote:FireMan, it might be handy to actually find out what the error is instead of constantly reinstalling, because that won't help.

If you execute startx, does it give a error? Or just a black screen with a mouse pointer?

Hi flxfxp,

that's de deal: I moved to karmic. In karmic there isn't the "can't finde X etc." error.
What happens after 'startx' is a black screen, then a little text console in the left/top corner, similar to windowed XBMC (when whe hit '\' key). The screen switches from standard VGA to 1920x1200. Of course, this console is in TTY7 and not in TTY1 (where I start X).
If I try to run xbmc inside this little console (TTY7 --> runXBMC), I receive an error like "you need a compatible VGA card".
Do you want any log?

Regards.

EDIT: almost running!

After install mesa-utils (sudo apt-get install mesa-utils) I was able to run xbmc in karmic. But I can't start directly running runXBMC (this result in black screen @ TTY7): I need, first, run startx and at the little console do runXBMC.
This will start XBMC for me.

Regards.
Just wanted to say that i did a fresh install with karmic mini.iso and this script and everything except the autologin worked. Got that from another guide and i was up and running with the latest build.
The other guide: http://bit.ly/A7IyB
You can get XBMC running automatically by typing autostart in the XBMScript menu. It will then gives you the instructions of getting autostart working, no integrated method yet.
XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
Installing XBMC on Ubuntu can't get easier than this!
Before posting error/feature questions regarding XBMScript, read THIS
Run as root. Don't be a pussy
I've got my karmic running with your script - thanks m8!

I just had to update the grub, and now it autostarts. But it doesnt autorestart if it crashes?

I've installed latest SVN.

How does your line look like? I replaced everything between the "" with the xbmc=.....
you needed to append that line within the parenthesis to the original content, the instructions told you so.
The original line looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet"
Then i need to add "xbmc=autostart,noredir"

What i've done so fare is:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="xbmc=autostart,noredir"

I wasn't sure if I should append the line with a comma or a space:
"splash quiet, xbmc=autostart,noredir"
or
"splash quiet xbmc=autostart,noredir"
It should be the latter
I just completed a Karmic 9.10 Minimal install and ran your script successfully on an Asrock Ion 330 HT, 320gb with 2gb ram. Got the autostart working as well. XBMC boots fine and the menu and system info looks ok (Confluence).

However, playing a 1080p from a network share, the movie lags and is playing at ~22fps at ~40% cpu.

I enabled all the VDPAU settings in XBMC and the res is set at default 1920x1080 with the framerate set to match the video rate.

Any ideas?
Network might be too slow? You need to have atleast a proper 100mbit network. Anyway, copy over the movie to the machine running xbmc and try running it locally.
When I had this problem, I found that was caused by my NAS: it was streaming @ 35mbps only. After replace the NAS, everything worked fine.
In time, you will never get 1080p working properly in 11g network. Will always get some lag. Use wired network.

Regards.
forget it
since this clearly says there no support for karmic on first post well ooops.
forget it
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)5