[LINUX] Some questions and issues with XBMC
Hi,

new to the forums, new to linux, but used XBMC several years on xbox till it broke. Happy to be here, etc.

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on ASROCK ION 330 that is connected to a Sony KDL-40w4000 LCD TV through HDMI.

Installed Ubuntu and XBMC (through PPA, not SVN) using this guide:
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php...ght=asrock

Most steps went fine. Sound works. I can play HD media through VDPAU.

However I can't configure everything as stated in the guide without running into a werid problem. When I configure xorg.conf file, like the HW Cursor fix and 24HZ fix, the problem occurs. Kinda hard to explain, but anway; when I'm playing a video file and want to go back to the menu while the video still plays, my TV will treat that transition (video to menu) as a new input source (something in the lines like I've switched a signal source off/on). This delays the whole transition cause the TV has to "treat" that new source. When I remove my changes from the xorg.conf file the problem goes away. Maybe this is normal but it's really annoying.

When starting any media in XBMC the sounds get delayed for about a second or two. Very annoying when playing music. This even occurs when fast forwarding or skipping. Is this because of XBMC or anything else? Ubuntu, hardware, drivers?

And lastly..

What does exactly "dropped frames" mean? At first I thought it just meant how many frames I loose when playing media, but I almost always have "dropped frames" when playing something (SD and HD content) but I can't see anything weird with the picture.
I've got values as high as 200 without me noticing anything. The FPS count always shows 23.90-24 fps even though there's a value on "dropped frames". Have I misinterpreted it?
Sorry, I meant "dropped" and not "dropped frames". I find it when bringing up an info window during media playback.
No one?
aelzor Wrote:When I configure xorg.conf file, like the HW Cursor fix and 24HZ fix, the problem occurs. Kinda hard to explain, but anway; when I'm playing a video file and want to go back to the menu while the video still plays, my TV will treat that transition (video to menu) as a new input source (something in the lines like I've switched a signal source off/on). This delays the whole transition cause the TV has to "treat" that new source. When I remove my changes from the xorg.conf file the problem goes away. Maybe this is normal but it's really annoying.

It's probably because xbmc is switching to 24hz when the video plays, then back to 60hz when the video stops. If you TV has a delay on this, nothing you can do about it, except running at the same refresh rate the whole time.
aelzor Wrote:When starting any media in XBMC the sounds get delayed for about a second or two. Very annoying when playing music. This even occurs when fast forwarding or skipping. Is this because of XBMC or anything else? Ubuntu, hardware, drivers?
I don't have this problem.
aelzor Wrote:Hi,
However I can't configure everything as stated in the guide without running into a werid problem. When I configure xorg.conf file, like the HW Cursor fix and 24HZ fix, the problem occurs. Kinda hard to explain, but anway; when I'm playing a video file and want to go back to the menu while the video still plays, my TV will treat that transition (video to menu) as a new input source (something in the lines like I've switched a signal source off/on). This delays the whole transition cause the TV has to "treat" that new source. When I remove my changes from the xorg.conf file the problem goes away. Maybe this is normal but it's really annoying.

This is down to your TV. Menus run at 60fps, video will be running at something different. Some TV's / Amps will treat a change in fps as a new input source, there is nothing xbmc can do in this situation if you have it setup like this.

When starting any media in XBMC the sounds get delayed for about a second or two. Very annoying when playing music. This even occurs when fast forwarding or skipping. Is this because of XBMC or anything else? Ubuntu, hardware, drivers?

I'm assuming you are using digital audio over hdmi, again this is down to your TV/Amp.

What does exactly "dropped frames" mean? At first I thought it just meant how many frames I loose when playing media, but I almost always have "dropped frames" when playing something (SD and HD content) but I can't see anything weird with the picture.
I've got values as high as 200 without me noticing anything. The FPS count always shows 23.90-24 fps even though there's a value on "dropped frames". Have I misinterpreted it?

Can be cause by many things, without more info and debug would be hard to tell. Main thing is if you don't notice it being an issue, don't try to fix it Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Some questions and issues with XBMC0