Via EPIA-P720 Pico-ITX
I was curious if this board would be a candidate to run xbmc anytime in the near future.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedd...950&tabs=1

The vx855 chipset that it uses mentions it can do 3d acceleration, but when I looked for information on their "VIA Chrome9™ HCM 3D" it didn't really indicate what it could do.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipse...ies/vx855/

I am guessing it would be complicated to set up linux to utilize the vx855 chipset for hardware acceleration, but am curious as to what it would take.
I don't know what the situation with Windows is, but the Linux Chrome9 drivers are very basic, they are OK for light desktop PC use, but the 3D acceleration and hardware assisted video playback support is very basic/almost non-existent.
DXVA in the vx855 is supported under Windows but under linux dont know.
after some googling last week myself when this board hit my eye (figuratively speaking), it looks like the opensource via driver doesnt support chrome9 acceleration, the via closed source one does, but only 2d acceleration..
Intel Core2 Q8200 - GigaByte GA-E7AUM-DSH2 - 8GiB DDR2 - Recom 8b - Hauppauge PVR150 - 2* Acer AL2216w - Philips 26" CRT - Sanyo PLV-Z5
We design one M/B for VIA C7M+VX855 output AV VGA & HDMI
Now want to Create a software XBMC live for VX855
PLS connect to me have interests.

E-mail: [email protected]
Would it be possible to run XBMC with this P720 board?
Any progress on the XBMC on P720?
The next Windows version of XBMC will have DXVA(2) support so it might work...

* You'd have to be running Windows 7
* DXVA would need to be supported in Win 7 display driver for VIA Chrome9 GPU

Might need testing against current development builds of XBMC too.

Oh and since the VX855 was first announced no-where outside of China appears to be selling this hardware so they are very hard to come by.
For anyone interested I actually found a VIA VX855 system through Wyse Thin Clients.

They are impressively small, fit in the palm of your hand looking at the brochure but they dont seem suitable for XBMC. They use a flash based OS (Windows XP embedded or others) and there are only USB2 ports for external storage.

They are also very expensive, so Atom/Ion remains a better option for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Via EPIA-P720 Pico-ITX0