Doing a new build looking for some advice on my hardware picks
Currently have a HTPC assembled from parts thrown out from other people at the University of Connecticut

Foxconn motherboard with Celeron D 2.5 Ghz OC to 3.0 ghz
1 gig ram
Nvidia FX5200
PVR-150
Iguanna IR blaster
Snapstream Firefly Remote

Currently runs MythTV, XBMC, and Boxee

Proposing this as HD upgrade

ASRock M3A785GXH/128M AM3 AMD 785G $99
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W $170
nMEDIAPC Red Wood Wood/Steel HTPC 8000 $130
HD PVR $200
2 x 1.5TB Caviar Green $240
Product Image
Antec TruePower New TP-550 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified $90

I realize the HD 4200 integrated will be about useless for anything but opengl and HDMI video and Audio. I wish I could get an integrated 9400 like the atoms but considering VDPAU is still adding features in new cards and I can still CPU render fine and if not it's a quick add on. The HD PVR allows recording of component with mythtv but still initial phases. Have to wait for Mythtv .22. The HD PVR can record H.264 at 13.5 mb/s which works out to 47 gig/hr thus the space requirements. Just looking for opinions. I think this is a good way to spend a grand. This is going to be mythtv backend, frontend, NAS, streaming video webserver, xbmc, and boxee.
I don't know about that case... I mean it's a personal choice and all, but $130 is kinda steep for an HTPC's case.

I would prioritize what you want it to be able to do. Most people want their HTPC to be incospicous and blend in with their existing TV and stereo. Power consumption is also another concern, with some using less than 30watts.

For me, my big concern is price. If I'm going to build a HTPC (I'm currently trying to spec one now) I need it to do everything I want for the cheapest amount of money. Your not going to get very cheap spending $130 on the case. I found several nice looking ones including their power supply for around $50 at newegg.com

Good luck!
Well the case is all about being girlfriend approved.

As for the wattage thing I think all you atom guys are crazy for not future proofing more. VDPAU acceleration is still a changing standard that will be upgraded over time. Being stuck with an integrated 9400 is definitely going to limit you in the long run since there is no graphics card slot for improvement.

For example, you cannot play HD flash at all. That celeron D I've been running for the last few years can barely keep up with my requirements and it has more speed than an atom. Under $200 for a processor is cheap although people have been becoming increasing stingy lately. My last gaming rig I dropped a dual core AMD X2 4400. That processor cost me $500 but that computer is 5 years old now and still descent even though it probably idles at 160 watts. That computer I showed you idles probably at 110 watts but considering it has probably more than 8x the computing power of an atom at only double the cost.

I may be wrong in going for more CPU power but I started off with an IBM XT which my dad sold a truck to get the parts to build it ourselves. I've seen video formats come and go and they always keep raising requirements. I've built home theater pc's with pentium 3 computers comparable to the atom and the results just aren't as good you can't rely on graphics acceleration for everything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Doing a new build looking for some advice on my hardware picks0