[LINUX] Sound delay after skipping forward or back
Hi, I am a XBMC for Linux newb but come from the XboxXBMC modding world. I have just about go my new setup working but have one question.

On my Original modded XboxXBMC I used the skip forward/back (cursor keys) alot and they were instant, skipping both video and audio with no delay.

On my new Linux build of XBMC, I now have a delay of @2-3 seconds on the audio. The video is instant still.

Do all Linux users have this delay? Or is it something to do with my HDMI settings?
Can anyone help please?

All I need to know is if my setup is working as normal. Do your setups have a2-3 second silence when you skip fwd and back during video playback with the cursor keys?

Thanks.
Nope. For me it's instant, regardless of which revision I'm running.
Ah that's good news. I hoped that it was a setting thing.

Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?

I have a ASRock 330 ION running Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC SVN, sound over HDMI. Any help greatly appreciated.
I have the same issue (and also asrock with xbmc live). I suspected it was my receiver re-syncing to the hdmi audio stream....but perhaps it's not?

It's worse with 5.1 than with 2. Still not that bad with either, though. But would be good to solve.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I also have the same problem. Although it occurs even when starting media, not just when skipping. No idea where the problem lies though.. :/
same for me: starting, skipping, forwarding - after that my sound trough hdmi is delayed few ms (< 500ms) and resync after 10-15 sec.

i'm running ubuntu karmic with r23588 build on gigabyte mb with ALC889A and AMD785 chipset.
Might be a HDMI issue; HDMI support on linux is still pretty new. Try using optical audio, if possible.
Did you see this thread here?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59176
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Hi, I have still yet to be able to resolve this delay over HDMI sound. After reading other posts, I am a little confused about the .asoundrc file and editing it.
I have setup my build without editing this file and now I wonder if that is the issue.

Can anyone without the delay supply an example .asoundrc file for sound over HDMI only please?

Also, I have just realised that I may have the wrong settings in XBMC;
Code:
Audio output: Digital
Default audio device: hdmi
Passthrough audio device: IEC958
Downmix to stereo: Yes/No
Should I have Passthrough as HDMI as I do not have any SPDIF/optical audio?
I have upgraded to alsa .21 and still have the delay in starting or skipping fwd/back in video. The delay is system wide and can be seen in gmone when testing audio settings and VLC (downloaded as a test).

I have dual booted this 330 ION into Windows 7 and get no delays at all.

Very frustrating. I suppose I'll have to go to Ubuntu forums for some help here if you guys have no further tips.

Thanks,
My .asoundrc on my ion is quite simply

Code:
pcm.!default hdmi

with xbmc set to

Code:
Digital
Audio output  - default
DTS - disabled
Dolby - disabled
Passthough  - iec958
downmix Multichannel - Yes

My ion box is connected directly to a tv via hdmi, hence downmix to 2 channel.Obviously this excludes dolby material but I experience no audio delay.

My other xbmc rig is using spdif out cable (digital, default settings with Dolby enabled). Heres showing two different connection methods.

1 . Xbmc connected to my tv(hdmi) and then an optical cable tv - amp. This setup does get the audio delay but only for Multichannel material.
My amp clearly shows the input switching dolby modes during skip.

Play- Dobly Digital
skip- Dolby Pro Logic
- delay = ~1-2 sec
resume Play - Dolby Digital.

2. Same xbmc setting, optical xbmc rig direct to amp.
Play - Dolby Digital
skip - Stereo
--very short delay well below 1/3 sec
resume Play - Dolby Digital.

Just trying to highlight that audio hardware, connections and audio modes all have a huge impact on on this delay even with the same settings for alsa and xbmc.
In my case, the TV amplified the delay considerably and produced different audio switching modes.

The original post claimed windows had no delays. Have you tried different audio sources ? eg. Dolby, DTS, Stereo and is windows actually playing back in stereo or multichannel. Apples for Apples.

I know this doesnt really answer/solve the original post but I think its important to consider your audio hardware and tv/amp settings first. A few little tweaks here and there can make this mode switching quite acceptable but its still a problem I think.

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
Thank you for such a comprehensive reply. You are absolutely correct, it is a good idea to consider all components.

As for Win7, I used VLC & WMC to play, pause and skip the same video (xvid TV show with MP3 audio) as had been delaying on Ubuntu & XBMC. That file played fine with no delays on the Windows box.

Although I have tried many file formats and audio types on the XBMC Ubuntu box, I had only tried the MP3 file on Win7. I will try them all on Win7 to make sure it's not a one off success.

What is concerning (and leading me to blame Ubuntu not XBMC) is that even the Test button in Setting - Sounds has the same 2 second delay before being heard. Every time.

Tonight, I will try an analogue speaker set on the Asrock box instead of HDMI and see if that has the same delays, I expect it will not but worth a check. Unfortunately, I do not have the kit to test the SPDIF or other audio outputs.

Thanks again for your kind help.
I have been trying lots and lots of things, Analog to TV, to external speakers, different HDMI cables and HDMI ports. Here's my end result; I have to live with HDMI sound delays.

My TV (Panasonic TH42PX700) is the culprit it seems. I eventually got around to testing it with other HDMI sources (SkyHD and DVD player) each has the same delay when initialising and skipping the souce video. It must be a sync process the TV goes through sadly. I tried all the Sound settings on the TV to no avail. At least I am happy that I did all I could. I'm just going to have to get used to it, not the end of the world really.

Btw, the Win7 test was confirmed, it does not delay on that using MCE & HDMI, it must keep the sound channel open or something. Very weird.

Thanks all for your help.
could you disable 'adjust refresh rate' under Video->Player and try then?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Sound delay after skipping forward or back0