Screen dimensions shrink when playing.
Hi guys,

When I play a movie in XBMC the actual screen dimensions shrink by about two inches (diagonally) with the picture being centered, the window taskbar is shrunk accordingly, so I can not correct the dimensions. Although when not playing, XBMC is at the correct size, even when tabbing out of the movie to the home screen.

One compounding factor may be that I have upgraded the ATI Catalyst driver to 9.9 which does not seem to have and scaling options. But while 9.6 had scaling options, they still didn't help. I can roll back to 9.6 if there is a suggestion I haven't tried.

I have been putting up with this for awhile, but I finally got a chance to look into it and can not or the life of me figure it out. Nor can I find anyone else with this issue. I would love some suggestions. Smile

Regards
9.9 has overscan and scaling options but they are buried in a slightly different area of catalyst. Just google for catalyst 9.9 overscan.

Also, you need to read the stickied posts at the top of the forum on how to post a problem in a meaningful way. No one can help you if we can't see debug logs, or system information.

Also have you tried a never version of XBMC, the DX builds from earlier on had problems with videos not having a correct aspect ratio.

Anyways, read the stickies first and go from there.
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Thanks,

Sorry about that. I am using 9.04.1 Repack 2. I will try some of the suggestions you made, and post back with the proper details if that doesn't work.

Thanks again
Thanks for all your help.

After trying all the big fixes I could think of (reinstalling things etc), I have found that for some reason the resolution in XBMC had changed from 1080i to 1920x1080 60hz. That this would make the screen shrink is strange, but by changing it back to 1080i the problem has gone.

I did make a post with the details as requested, but I found the problem soon after posting it. I have left the issue below, for anyone else who may run into the same problem.

-----------------------------
XBMC: Ver. 9.04.1 Repack2
Windows: 7 x64 7600 RTM
Chip: CORE 2 Duo E7500 2.93Ghz
RAM: 4GB
Graphics/Sound: HDMI-out via ATI Radeon 4890 1Gb w/ Catalyst Driver V9.9
Digital Receiver: HDMI-in&out Sony Muteki-HTDDW7500
TV: HDMI-in Kogan 37" LCD running 1080p @60hz
Debug Log: http://pastebin.ca/1631207

After a fresh install of XBMC on the system above. Open XBMC in fullscreen, note that the gui is correct. Then open a movie (any format) & I notice the available window area is now physically smaller, even the taskbar has shrunk. Originally, I could press tab to the gui and the screen would switch back to the full dimentions. However: After reinstalling the Catalyst drivers this morning, the screen no longer corrects itself after tabbing out of the movie. That is to say, even after stopping the movie the screen area remains shrunken. I am assuming it is an issue with my scaling configuration, is there perhaps an advised config for 9.9?

Please let me know if there is anything else I should advise.

Thanks again Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Screen dimensions shrink when playing.0