• 7(current)
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread
I had the same problem. Can you use a wired USB keyboard until you figure out which OS you want to run?

Or do you want to have the option of both OS's forever?
davkav Wrote:I had the same problem. Can you use a wired USB keyboard until you figure out which OS you want to run?

Or do you want to have the option of both OS's forever?

I had the problem with all my keyboards wired and wireless.

Id like to keep W7 until im certain. The 1501 will run Firefox for flashTV (swedish SVT has a webbased flash service for watching fullscreen TV), XBMC (of course) and host Squeezeserver for my music.

I started expoling ubuntu because XBMC/W7 had no support for hardware acceleration, but it has now, but I still want to resolve this issue.
Lightbulb 
I have the same problem. Wired keyboard can't be used in grub boot menu.

I found the following workarounds:

Method 1: On boot press F2 several times to enter the BIOS, then press Esc to exit without saving. Then the keyboard is usable in the boot menu

Method 2: On boot press F2 once, then the keyboard is also usable in the boot menu. You have to find the right timing, otherwise it wouldn't work...
I think I've broken the USB receiver for the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone either know where to get hold of a new one or if anyone doesn't want their set and is willing to sell it?
Is there anyway to find out if your EB1501 has the built-in IR receiver? I've tried to set it up using the wiki instructions but get nothing from irw. This could be a case of it not existing or me doing it wrong.

My system was bought on ebay and shipped from Asia with an asian keyboard. I've using an MCE USB receiver but it'd be nice to use the inbuilt one if it is actually there.
I tried a few things that gave me conflicting answers

1. Booted into Windows 7 and managed to install the CIR drivers, this made me think it had the built-in IR.

2. Back in XBMC on Linux I tried...

Code:
cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:01/resources && cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00:01/options

Going from 00:01 to 00:09 and nothing came back like in this thread so I went to number 3.

3. I dismantled it intending to look for the chip that does IR but before I even started looking for that it turns out whilst having the little window on the front for the IR receiver it doesn't actually have the IR receiver diode, just the empty solder points for one to live.

Upsetting Sad
I was wondering would anyone be willing to make an image of their linux based XBMC install that they have on their EB1501 with built in IR receiver.

It doesnt matter if you have a whole pile of junk in it or sources etc. Ill be wiping all the settings etc.

If anyone could do this I would greatly appreciate it. Should take all of 30mins to do it. If even.
Dave
Question 
http://www.hardware.info/nl-BE/extconten...Ray_drive/

Hi there,

does anybody know a shop which will ship this to belgium?

Attention this is not the standard EEEbox but one with Blu Ray Drive on board...

Has anybody any knowledge on how silent these eee boxes are?

thx,

Smalla
I've got the standard EB1501 and was a bit disappointed on how silent it was. Very acceptable though.
@nielsi... i do not understand, do you mean that it is loud?... you were disapointed on how silent it was... from that sentence i could understand that you wished it to be louder....
Do you really need the BluRay Drive?

I've got the EB1012 (no CD/DVD or BluRay drive) and it´s almost completely silent, it only makes some noise when i turn it on and the HD starts spinning Big Grin
no i do not need it, i just thougth it is nice to have...
I bought a dvd drive one a couple of weeks ago and I cant hear it at all unless i get about half a metre away from it. The dvd drive can be a little noisy when starting up though.

Don't have the need at the moment but in the future can always buy a blu ray slot drive and stick it in.
I meant I hoped it would be dead silent standing about 3 meters away from the living room, but it wasn't, which was disappointing. I should have said I was disappointed with how loud it was, but since it's actually still pretty silent that sounded a bit to harsh :p Waltzin says he can't hear it from half a meter away, so i guess it really depends on where the machine is located and how critical you are..

I did read a test that told the EB1012 was more silent than the EB1501 (with no optical disc spinning).
Apologies for resurrecting this old thread. I've just bought an Asus eeebox EB1501U - the intention is to replace my existing XBMC setup (which runs on XBox Classic). I fully intended to run XBMC on the eeebox, although it seems that there are problems running even 720p through XBMC on this hardware platform.

The information in this thread seems to point to slightly older versions of the system, and wondering if anyone has experience of running XBMC on the Atom 330 (dual core) version?
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASUS Eee Box EB1501 (+ alternative 1501 models EB1501U and EB1501P) discussion thread0