removing of Network preferences support in SVN-24229
Question 
Hi all, Hi Topfs2,

i would know what are the reasons for the remove of Network preferences menu in SVN 24229 and 24230.

As some people knows i am trying to build an small and fast embedded Linuxdistribution to run xbmc. because xbmc is the only application that starts and i dont have another frontend to configure the system i was very happy that xbmc has included this menu. this has worked for me very good, except the wlan settings.

i am gladly with removing of unneeded settings, that (end)users cannot understand or that are not needed, but networking is essential. i think standalone mode means that xbmc is the only application on an system so there are no more options to configure the system.

can you reenable this?
greetings, Stephan

they do not work on ubuntu > hardy. they probably do not work on most distros in fact. and the real evil; they require root!

they will be reintroduced after the release using networkmanager + dbus. work is mostly done already.

if you really need this, diff -r does the work. we only hid the settings, we did not remove the actual code.
then i wish also connman support as an alternative to NetworkManager support. connman is an small replacement for NetworkManager using dbus used by Moblin and AFAIK also available for Ubuntu. is this possible?

http://connman.net/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Spec...ic/Connman
greetings, Stephan

we have been considering it, and it should be possible (the code has nice abstractions to support multiple platforms, so we can easily support multiple backends on a platform as well).

that being said, we as a team will just do the one that is used in our target distro - ubuntu - which atm is networkmanager. hopefully they'll change it soon as conman is much cleaner.
is it possible i can test the changes for NetworkManager support at this time, with the actual SVN? the NetworkManager Branch looks very old. is there an patch or so?
greetings, Stephan

i don't think topfs2 (the guy working on it) has published anything yet. he got sidetracked by ubuntu's change to devicekit etc and had to focus on that for release.
Yeah as spiff said I was sidetracked by devicekit, which was of more importance. However I have not stopped working on network and will resume on it after camelot release (or sooner depending on my time).

The ticket of the published code (outside of XBMC for now since it's lots easier to test the API without the GUI and such.) http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7248

As you can see from code in that ticket is that the old, evil Big Grin, root way will still be left as one interface.

Connman is definatly planned, the idea is actually to have it on XBMC Live but the idea to use connman is quite recent, which is why the code in that ticket does not contain any connman stuff. However I have started working on it. The package in ubuntu is rather old though but the debian maintainer is pinged about it afaik so hopefully we'll have a fresher base in by lucid.

Movement is abit slow as I don't use Wlan much but DHCP configuration will hopefully make it in by camelot+1, static might take longer but will be abstracted properly so patches is always welcomed.

So first step will be NM7 but perhaps only as client, i.e. no connection setup as it's pain. and connman is step 2 and will contain setup of wlan (as it's lots simpler)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
ok... then i must make my first releases with dhcp only support and without controlling networksetting support. i have an (mostly) working recent connman support in my distribution but the user cant control the network settings. i need an frontend in xbmc for this. so i will work on other things first - if you need someone to test your work let me know this. i will help you to make your work better and find errors - but i cannot code c and others :-(
greetings, Stephan

Smile 
Hi Tobias,

i would ask if you still have connman support on your todo list. One of my biggest wishes is to setup network (lan/wlan) within XBMC (again).

topfs2 Wrote:Connman is definatly planned, the idea is actually to have it on XBMC Live but the idea to use connman is quite recent, which is why the code in that ticket does not contain any connman stuff. However I have started working on it. The package in ubuntu is rather old though but the debian maintainer is pinged about it afaik so hopefully we'll have a fresher base in by lucid.

as i see here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/lucid/connman

Lucid uses connman 0.45 now (not the recent version, but not very old) is it possible you can "restart" your work with this?

topfs2 Wrote:So first step will be NM7 but perhaps only as client, i.e. no connection setup as it's pain. and connman is step 2 and will contain setup of wlan (as it's lots simpler)

because connman support is more simpler as NM7 support, why not integrating connman support as step1 for the standalone mode to have one working solution implemented. XBMC Live can benefit also from this function and it is easy to integrate connman in XBMC Live. for other (Desktop/not standalone) installations the distribution specific solution can be used to setup networking. what do you think? can i help a bit with anything?

thanks and
greetings, Stephan

Last I tried conman didn't work on ubuntu (didn't resolve any network adaptors).

Also as I see it, NM7 will make embedded and desktop users happy. Conman will only help embedded, NM7 has a bigger audiance.

I do agree connman support would be awesome though, but I really can't see it good for step 1.

Btw, there is a little patch for the smallest subset of network stuff in trac somewhere with nm7, no configuration there though.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Last I tried conman didn't work on ubuntu (didn't resolve any network adaptors).

because i am not using ubuntu i dont know if it works under ubuntu, but if there are problems we can report this issue.

topfs2 Wrote:Also as I see it, NM7 will make embedded and desktop users happy. Conman will only help embedded, NM7 has a bigger audiance.

maybe i am wrong, but personally i think it makes no sense for desktop users to setup the network with XBMC...

topfs2 Wrote:I do agree connman support would be awesome though, but I really can't see it good for step 1.

what i can do to you, that you can see its good for step 1? :-)

topfs2 Wrote:Btw, there is a little patch for the smallest subset of network stuff in trac somewhere with nm7, no configuration there though.

thats not what i am need, i need an solution for setup the network with lan and wlan (later maybe some other things). how many work is this for you to develop this connman client for xbmc?
greetings, Stephan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
removing of Network preferences support in SVN-242290