Optical audio with ASUS EB1012 and XBMC Live
I hvae a ASUS EEEBox EB1012 with the NVIDIA ION Chipset

My issue is that i cant get XBMC to play audio via TOSLINK/Optical

My setup is:

- Audio: TOSLINK/Optical from EB1012 to my Sourround reciver
- Video: HMDI from EB1012 to TV

The only way i can get any sound is if i set the audio output i XBMC to analog and HDMI (+ downmix to stereo) and then i set my sourround reciver to AUX (that way the sound flows from the EB1012 to the TV via HDMI and then to my reciver via phono resulting i 2.0 stereo sound - that sucks when you want 5.1 surround sound)

Can anyone help?
I had a similar issue on my Zotac ION board with the new Karmic release. I had the audio set to digital and both sound options to iec958. I would hear the menu sounds but I got no sound from any movies and would just get a message about it being unable to start the audio device. I removed pulseaudio and everything now works fine.
Code:
sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

Not sure if its the best solution or would even fix your problem but it seemed to work for me.
Can you confirm what your audio settings are.
I tried every combination.

I also triede the combination JayWild talked about Digital / iec958 / iec958

This way it started great with menu sounds i XBMC, and some sound when playing movies. but i discovered that only background sound was played.

then i tried switching around a bit i the settings, and ended up trying the Digital / iec958 / iec958 again and this time i only got alot of noise.

But i will try your suggestion when i get home today.
Wuhuu... It worked... great... thanks JayWild
nogetmedx, how much noise does the EB1012 make? I'm looking to use one to run xbmc but only if its quiet.

Thanks.
It's very quiet...Can bearly hear it sitting 50 cm from it....
Other things to be aware of :
It has no IR receiver (I bought one USB CIR like the one in this thread. Works great!)
The blue led in front is pretty bright....maybe a bios update can fix this?
Had no problems installing XBMC on it. 1080p runs perfect.
I whish it had blueray and enough power to use a DVB-T TV card, then it would be a 100% perfect HTPC....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Optical audio with ASUS EB1012 and XBMC Live0