Skip performance (how can I decrease the lag?)
When I used to run XBMC on Xbox hardware I was really impressed with the performance of [Skip] (30/60 seconds forward).

From the moment I pressed the skip button to the time the video skipped and resumed playing felt almost instant, < 100 ms.

Now since I've started using XBMC on Linux, there is a definite lag on the skips. Closer to 500ms - 1000ms. (and it's variable, sometimes quicker than others in the same set of skips)

I know this is nit picking -- but does anyone have tips on increase skip performance in Linux? The videos are played via local NFS mount on our file server (w/ a gigabit network connection on both ends).

Are there any XBMC / OS / Network settings I can adjust to improve the lag on skips?

Thanks!
MattPF Wrote:When I used to run XBMC on Xbox hardware I was really impressed with the performance of [Skip] (30/60 seconds forward).

From the moment I pressed the skip button to the time the video skipped and resumed playing felt almost instant, < 100 ms.

Now since I've started using XBMC on Linux, there is a definite lag on the skips. Closer to 500ms - 1000ms. (and it's variable, sometimes quicker than others in the same set of skips)

I know this is nit picking -- but does anyone have tips on increase skip performance in Linux? The videos are played via local NFS mount on our file server (w/ a gigabit network connection on both ends).

Are there any XBMC / OS / Network settings I can adjust to improve the lag on skips?

Thanks!

No.
davilla Wrote:No.

I just tried SAMBA instead of NFS and it appears to be more responsive. I wonder if it's something with my NFS config (either client settings or server).
MattPF Wrote:I just tried SAMBA instead of NFS and it appears to be more responsive. I wonder if it's something with my NFS config (either client settings or server).

Just watched a few more shows and yeah -- SAMBA performs much better, just like the Xbox Hardware did (which was also using SAMBA).

Wonder what it is about NFS....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skip performance (how can I decrease the lag?)0