Acer AspireRevo: Buy Now?
Im looking for a dedicated box to run XBMC on the cheap. I figured that the Revo 1600 is probably the best bet for me. All im going to be doing on it is playing my videos (Normal and HD), and some video off Hulu, but not HD Hulu.

So, my question. Aparently there will be some new hardware coming out in January, im wondering if you think I should buy now, or wait, and hope that the price of the Revo would drop. I only have 200 that I am spending on this. Or, is there another box that I should be looking at to do the job?

Thanks,
Jeff Dadamo
Intel will be coming with new Pineview processor.

From what I've read, performance will be about the same. Only difference is that they included the Intel graphics into the CPU. It gives lower power consumption, but cpu performance should be about the same (+5-10%) than the current 330.

The problem with that new design is that now on the GPU would be integrated on CPU and not have a dedicated chipset. Nvidia need to figure a way to put a the ion chipset on the board and be able to switch between both.

I dont expect ION 2 platform to show up until at least next summer. Last year ION were introduced in january and we can only buy them since like september.

If you only want to read HD mkv 720p or 1080p, current ION offering are plenty enough to handle this task.
you mentioned the 330 ion, i was planning on buying the 230 ion, it should be enough, from what i've read, to handle still handle 1080p right?

it looks like i definitely dont need to wait based on what my needs are.

is the Revo 230ion the "creme of the crop" for my needs? or is there another box I should look at?
This single core version of the Revo will play 1080p just fine. I now have 2 of them in the house and they work very well for my needs. I did upgrade each of them from 1 gig to 2 gigs of ram which allows the video ram to be bumped up from 256 to 512meg. Not sure how much of a performance boost that provides but since it was a $25 upgrade I did it on each.
okay thanks, im gonna pick up the 230 ION Revo then. I had heard that they made a version of it with wifi, is this true?
Regarding the bump up, my understanding is that getting to 2gigs is necessary to handle especially (and absurdly) high bitrate content, and possibly for dealing L4.1 and L5.1 authored content. Actually, it isn't even the 2gigs that's crucial, it's ensuring that the video memory is 512mb instead of 256, which is what happens when you only have 1gig installed.
i have an extra 1GB stick lying around from once of my old machines so i will be able to throw that in there. The feature that I am needing now is the wifi. I thought that I heard some people had found a place to buy the 230 ION revo with wifi but i cant remember.
speedemonV12 Wrote:i have an extra 1GB stick lying around from once of my old machines so i will be able to throw that in there. The feature that I am needing now is the wifi. I thought that I heard some people had found a place to buy the 230 ION revo with wifi but i cant remember.

I too need to find one with wifi.
I think that the European version has wifi. Anyone know of some European retailers we can get one from?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer AspireRevo: Buy Now?0