[REQUEST] [LIVE] Built In Wifi Network Manager
It seems no one has done this right yet. It's probably best to wire via Ethernet, but my HTPC uses Wifi. I'd love to switch over to a pure XBMC live installation and have 100% of it controlled by remote. I know I can drop down to shell, install what's missing (backports,etc.), a wifi manager, and just use it with the launcher or something. I've even seen ways to do it via command line itself on another thread. the point is: I want to be able to seamlessly manage my wifi network connection via my live installation using the on screen keyboard and my remote like any other setting.

What would it take to get a built in wifi network manager going? I'm assuming we'd have to include a few missing drivers and such with Linux. I don't think I'm capable enough to code the plugin needed to do this, but I can certainly try helping. I could put together a mockup of the interface, specifications, proj mgmt, and help with some of the QA for sure though. Someone even start working on a network manager branch of the XBMC code but it hasn't been touched since May:

http://gitorious.org/xbmc/xbmc/commits/NetworkManager

Respond here/PM/or email: j[at]jasonlbaptiste.com . Would love to make this happen.

-jlb
Strongly agree with JLB: last version is really a great program but still lacks of this important feature. Me too use HTPC on a wireless connection and a network manager application should be helpful and essential to complete this wonderful suite.
Though slow in coding, I can help. Hope to have a feedback from the development team soon.
Daniele
I haven't stopped working on it, I've just gotten sidetracked with different stuff.

It goes abit slowly though since I need to pull out my wifi card between times so I can dev on it (my wifi card might be singing on the last word) which makes it damn boring to dev it. Anyways I hope to continue with it some more during the spring.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
hey topfs,

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. If donating a wifi card for dev purposes would move things along faster, let me know. Thx.

-jlb

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] [LIVE] Built In Wifi Network Manager0