[WINDOWS] Problem with Gbit LAN in Windows 7
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the same problem as I or if this is a known issue? I've tried to search the forum but found very little that exactly matches my problem.

Some threads discuss how movies stutter when streaming over Gbit but my movies don't. It's just that it takes 4-5 minutes before they start which is very annoying. I've noticed that not all movies takes this long to start. Mostly it is Hi-res movies in 720 och 1080.

If I change to 100 Mbit (Full duplex) it works like a charm. However it's if I can't use Gbit LAN if I have the opportunity to.

Anyone recognizes this?
I have some weird issues like that occasionally and my entire network is gigabit & Windows 7. Have you tried creating/posting a debug log?
Catchy Signature Here
From the information given I would suggest you are not getting a good Gigabit connection. Have you tried copying a large file across and compared the results between 100 / Gigabit ? Check your cable and make sure it's CAT 5e or better, swop it out to eliminate it if required

Regards

Niclas
Thanks for your replies.

I have recently looked into this some more.

My setup is:

QNAP209 (Gbit LAN) -> D-Link 855 Router (Gbit LAN) -> HTPC (Gbit LAN)

I have two HDDs configured as RAID 1 (mirrored) in my NAS:
- SAMSUNG SpinPoint T166 series (500 GB)
- SAMSUNG SpinPoint P120 series (250 GB)
(I know this is a strange setup for a NAS but these were the only two disks I had laying around Smile )

In my HTPC I have one HDD:
- SAMSUNG Spinpoint P80 SP1614C (160GB)

When I first tried to copy some files I got 10-11 MBytes/s which I find a little odd (even though I don't have the newest disks on the market).

I updated my network settings for my router and for my network card (HTPC) to only accept 1Gbit (Full duplex) - I got up the speed to 13-14 MBytes/s which I still think is too slow.

Finally I updated my Jumbo Frame (MTU) settings (both on QNAP, Router and HTPC) to 9kb (I'm not exactly sure what this does but I thought I give it a try). I also turned of QoS on my router and something called "Traffic Shaping".
This gave me speeds like 19-20 MBytes/s.

I tried running XBMC with these settings and I got no delays when starting the movies.

Even so I think 20 MBytes/s is pretty slow for a Gbit connection and I don't believe its my disks that are the cause. The benchmarks I've seen for my disks should at least manage 30-40 MBytes/s. Or is RAID1 slowing them down?

At least I'm glad that XBMC works now and that I managed to crank up the speed somewhat. But if anyone has some more tips on how to optimize LAN settings I would be more than happy to listen.

[EDIT] Also I use CAT6 cables for all my connections [/EDIT]

Thanks!
in device manager, locate your network card. most cards are able to lower their speed. E.g. go to the cards properties > Advanced tab. Check for Speed & Duplex etc. Try 100 Mb Half or 10 Mb Half duplex to see if this resolves your problem.
sahlen79 Wrote:Thanks for your replies.

I have recently looked into this some more.

My setup is:

QNAP209 (Gbit LAN) -> D-Link 855 Router (Gbit LAN) -> HTPC (Gbit LAN)

I have two HDDs configured as RAID 1 (mirrored) in my NAS:
- SAMSUNG SpinPoint T166 series (500 GB)
- SAMSUNG SpinPoint P120 series (250 GB)
(I know this is a strange setup for a NAS but these were the only two disks I had laying around Smile )

In my HTPC I have one HDD:
- SAMSUNG Spinpoint P80 SP1614C (160GB)

When I first tried to copy some files I got 10-11 MBytes/s which I find a little odd (even though I don't have the newest disks on the market).

I updated my network settings for my router and for my network card (HTPC) to only accept 1Gbit (Full duplex) - I got up the speed to 13-14 MBytes/s which I still think is too slow.

Finally I updated my Jumbo Frame (MTU) settings (both on QNAP, Router and HTPC) to 9kb (I'm not exactly sure what this does but I thought I give it a try). I also turned of QoS on my router and something called "Traffic Shaping".
This gave me speeds like 19-20 MBytes/s.

I tried running XBMC with these settings and I got no delays when starting the movies.

Even so I think 20 MBytes/s is pretty slow for a Gbit connection and I don't believe its my disks that are the cause. The benchmarks I've seen for my disks should at least manage 30-40 MBytes/s. Or is RAID1 slowing them down?

At least I'm glad that XBMC works now and that I managed to crank up the speed somewhat. But if anyone has some more tips on how to optimize LAN settings I would be more than happy to listen.

[EDIT] Also I use CAT6 cables for all my connections [/EDIT]

Thanks!

There are a number of factors involved in this and I certainly agree that it should be possible to get faster speeds than that. However, I think 20 MByte/sec which equates to 160 Mbit/sec (i believe ) is a reasonable speed and well beyond what you would need to get top performance streaming data to XBMC. If it took 4-5 minutes to fill the 2MB buffer which is required for the movie to start, this indicates that there must be something else that is wrong. With 10-11 MByte/sec you should not experience any noticable delay at all.

Assume you have updated drivers/firmware etc already ? also, disk fragmentation could affect performance severly.

Good luck

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Problem with Gbit LAN in Windows 70