Which GFX card?
steve2493 Wrote:the asus is cheaper on ebuyer, i've just brought one for £25
here

How come you opted for the ATi, I thought they were causing a fair bit of hassle?

I'm leading towards this at the moment providing it supports VP4: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1010
Let's clear things up a little bit. Ati 4xxx and newly arrived 5xxx series have an onboard audio chipset , that not only passes digital audio streams using HDMI , or DVI (with DVI to HDMI dongle) , but can actually totally replace a sound card i someone's system . The difference between 4xxx and 5xxx series , is that the second one , can now also bitstream DTS-HD and Dolby Digital digital audio streams . People who have capable receivers and Bluray players will find this feature extremely welcomed .

Nvidia not until recently , did not have gfx cards with onboard audio chipsets . Instead , most of her Htpc - friendly cards , had only a spdif connector onboard , so that the user had to connect the system's sound card with the gfx card internally using a spdif header, and all the gfx card had to do , was to pass sound through to the hdmi output.

But all that recendly changed with the gt 210 and gt 220 gfx's . But be carefull. While the gt 220 has indeed an onboard dedicaded audio chipset , the gt 210 does not. But however , you do not need a spdif header as i described above. The card uses automatically the pci express bus and takes sound from you're already installed sound card and drives it to the hdmi output of her's . So in the gt 210 case you will need a dedicated sound card if you want to get sound from your hdmi output.

Both of these cards and currently all cards from nvidia , cannot bitstream dts-hd and dolby digital like ati's 5xxx series .

One big problem that all users have with ati cards is dxva limitations that ati has implemented in her drivers. Files , especially those at 1080p with high bitrates and more than 5 reference frames will not play correctly. You will be seeing a lot of green artifacts on screen. Do not be confused with the all green screen problem xbmc recenlty had . It's something that ati can , but as it seems intentionaly does not resolve.

Nvidia cards apparently do not seem to have such kind of limitations and they seem that they can handle everything, even up to 16 reference frames!

In my opinion if you want a card dedicaded to dxva , go ahead to nvidia and preferably to a gt 220 . You don't want to rely on dxva and soon discover that some of your files cannot play correctly.
I've got a 4670, again I bought it mostly because I heard good reviews about the HIS ICE-Q series...and overall I'm fairly happy. The card is almost impossible to hear, vents heat out the back of the case, and as ashlar said, it has the onboard audio decoder.

What I've found though is that it doesn't always re-sync audio when run through my Denon. On top of that, since it sees the Denon as the video device it's attached to, the overscan settings aren't always in the Catalyst Control Center which would be fine if ATI didn't default to underscan (perhaps this is fixed in 12.1, don't know)

So...i'm holding off to see what nvidia comes out with next...the 5xxx series is really tempting for me for the bitstreaming, but nvidia I'm sure will counter with something along those lines soonish.

Anyways, short answer, go with nvidia. :-)
aXeR Wrote:I went through that entire thread Ashlar and tbh, I didn't come across much praise for any card, mostly it was all negative Tongue
It was just the first link I came across. The GT220 seems to be much better, even considering the sound thing. One less card in the PC it's always a good thing in my opinion.
Nvidia really don't make things simple, thats for sure!

Take a look at the spec tab here:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_g...20_uk.html - gives me the impression it grabs the sound via the PCI-E bus (i.e. in my case onboard sound)

Whilst the lower spec card:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product_g...10_uk.html - gibes the impression it has onboard sound?

Still think the 220 is the way to go?
aXeR Wrote:How come you opted for the ATi, I thought they were causing a fair bit of hassle?

I'm leading towards this at the moment providing it supports VP4: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...ubcat=1010

no probs here!!
aXer, google for product reviews of the two models. I found suspicious that an higher specced model would go for lower specs on sound.
I've spent the majority of the day doing exactly that and haven't found anything concrete yet. Think I'll just cut my losses and buy the 220 and see how I get on Smile
IMO the only thing that ATI has over Nvidia is the ability to change the colorspace for the desktop. For some reason Nvidia does not have the ability in their control panel to change the colorspace for the desktop. XBMC uses the desktop colorspace. So watching bluray (rips) with XBMC on most TVs will crush your blacks and whites.
aXeR Wrote:I've spent the majority of the day doing exactly that and haven't found anything concrete yet. Think I'll just cut my losses and buy the 220 and see how I get on Smile
I'm finding evidence suggesting that 220 indeed requires another soundcard to provide sound... incredible. Further reading confirms this.

It's really too bad that XBMC does not favour ATI cards, for HTPC use they seem to be better thought out.
Thats what I gathered from the Nvidia website too where as the 210 apparently has built in sound, should I opt for that then?
aXeR Wrote:Thats what I gathered from the Nvidia website too where as the 210 apparently has built in sound, should I opt for that then?

g210, gt220 and gt240 all have integrated sound. i did have a g210, and i do have a gt240, and they work great.
On the GT220 at least, any sound actually comes from what ever other sound devices you have (e.g. onboard sound) the GT220 just grabs this and pulls it over the PCI-E slot.

If you don't mind me asking, how comes you chose to upgrade to the GT240 from the G210?
aXeR Wrote:On the GT220 at least, any sound actually comes from what ever other sound devices you have (e.g. onboard sound) the GT220 just grabs this and pulls it over the PCI-E slot.

If you don't mind me asking, how comes you chose to upgrade to the GT240 from the G210?

i don't have any other soundcards enabled, so it definitely has its own on-board sound controller.

the g210 had its own sound controller as well, so i cant see why the gt220 wouldn't. I'm not saying what you observe is not what is happening, but I'm not aware of any graphics cards which can pull audio over pci-e from another soundcard, not without a spdif lead.

i upgraded from g210 to gt240 for gaming performance. i do a little bit of gaming (HL2 and stuff) and found the g210 too slow. my priorities we're, 1-nvidia, 2-7.1/5.1 LPCM, 3-gaming. the gt240 fits those perfectly. the g210 is a great htpc card (low power, low profile, etc) so if you don't game it works great.
Guys , regarding the onboard sound. I am 100 % sure (don't ask me how , it's a long story) , that gt 210 doesn't have an onboard audio processor , while the gt 220 has. The gt 210 'grabs' the multichannel audio and every other sound from the system directly and automatically from the the pci - e bus . So in the case of the gt 210 you need a dedicated sound card , while in gt 220 case you don't.
If you still don't believe me , have a look over at nvidia's site . In gt 210 product details you will see that in the section hdmi audio there is an 'internal' thing.
By internal nvidia means what i described above . In gt 220 product details you will see again in the same section that there is a HDA thing. This is the way nvidia is telling you that gt 220 has a HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO CONTROLLER on board.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which GFX card?0