How to backup and restore an ION based system using a USB Stick and DriveImage XML
Back up and restore have always been an important aspect of computer usage....

This post will focus on how you can backup and restore your Acer Revo 1600 (or Any Nvidia ION System) with Drive Image XML and BartPE.

DriveImage XML can be downloaded for free here and backing up an image is straightforward and well documented elsewhere...

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

The package below is everything you need to create and USB boot Stick which can boot on a Revo and allow you to completely restore an image you created over the network using SMB.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NVRX208I

This can be useful for:

1. cloning a revo setup for friends and family (already done 3 of these)
2. recovering from a disaster (like the nvidia drivers breaking the HDMI audio)

I am still at work and need to go home and repeat some steps to document the restore process and a few tricks along the way.

Building the USB Stick.

NOTE: It took me more than a few tries to get a working stick. hopefully with some others here providing feedback we can get this process dialed in. Once I get some feedback I can add some more pictures to this part of the process.

1. I had bad luck with 1GB sticks even though they should work. I ended up successfully using a 4GIG stick.
2. format the stick for USB HPUSBFW.exe program
3. Using the PEtoUSB program burn the BartPE folder to the USB THumb Drive.

Restoring a Drive Image XML image using Bart PE for ION.

1. you need to change the hard drive mode from sata to IDE to allow bartPE to work. (you also need to change it back when done). failure to do either of these steps will result in fatal errors with bizarre messages.

STOCK is AHCI

Change to Native IDE

2. insert the USB Stick and boot it..... you should seem something like this....

3. when boot completed you should see this screen. Answer YES

4. Select DHCP and hit OK

5. Driver load will fail. thats OK! hit OK

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_bOHj0kP1agQ/S2yA8x...G_0139.JPG

6. We are not at the main BartPE screen (the green icon in the lower left is the start menu)

7. Select GO->System->Network->Load Network and File Share Support (DHCP/Auto)

8. Let the network drivers load. now we can go test it by mapping a network drive.

9. type in the name or IP address of the server that contains the DriveXML Image you want to restore.

10. open the file manager tool and make sure we can connect correctly to the drive we mapped and see its contents....

11. All is good we can see the Network drive contents....

12. Now we are ready to run Drive Image XML....

13. Drive ImageXML is running... pick the partition we want to restore.....

14. click next and browse to drive Z:\ and select the image you want to restore.... and follow the wizard....

SORRY FORGOT SNAPS HERE. Will add.....

15. When restore is complete. remove USB stick and reboot. remember to press F2 and go back into the BIOS and re-select AHCI mode under Integrated Peripherals or windows will BSOD when booting....

Thats it... Please let me know if anything is unclear and I will evolve these instructions over time. There is nothing specific about this process for Revo except for the BartPE tree I provided that has been customized to include the Nvidia ION network drivers. I have tested this process on a Zotac ION system with the same results as well.

Sean
Anything for Linux?
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Sorry not my area of expertise.... I use it and write code on it daily but never used it at home.....

Sean

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to backup and restore an ION based system using a USB Stick and DriveImage XML0