1080P Stuttering after fast forwarding to middle of large m2ts
Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to say I love XBMC - the interface is very very cool. I'm hoping to migrate all my media machines to use XBMC all the time.

I've been noticing across 3 different system configurations that skipping to the middle of a large m2ts (> 30GB) leads to degradations in audio/video playback. The video becomes suttery and audio occasionally drops out if it is over a digital channel. Here are my configs:

Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) connected to Dell 2408 (DVI) and analog speakers
XBMC 9.11 stable
2 Dual Core Xeon 2.66 GHz
5 GB RAM
ATI 1900XT

Windows 7 Ultimate connected to Dell 2408 (DVI) and analog speakers
XBMC Nightly as of 2/6
Dual Core AMD 4200+ X2 (939)
2 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS

Windows 7 Ultimate connected to Panasonic Plasma 54" and digital audio (all over hdmi)
XBMC 9.11 stable
Dual Core E6750 2.66 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI 4550

I'm including the mac configuration since it's the easiest reference, but my main concern is to get this working on my windows configs. At the start of the movie, I see playback on the mac consuming around 130% CPU usage (across the 4 cores) for XBMC. On the AMD machine, I see about 140-160% CPU usage overall (70-80% usage of each core). However, skipping to the halfway point of the movie, CPU consumption jumps to 150% on the mac and 180% on the amd. At this point in the movie on my Intel E6750, playback stutters and the audio channel is clearly dropped (my receiver shows dolby digital switching off and there is a break in the audio). In all the cases, the CPU is not maxed out yet. Also I figured on the AMD CPU would be less the entire time since I set it to use DXVA and I think the graphics card should be more than enough to handle it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
brycerocket Wrote:Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to say I love XBMC - the interface is very very cool. I'm hoping to migrate all my media machines to use XBMC all the time.

I've been noticing across 3 different system configurations that skipping to the middle of a large m2ts (> 30GB) leads to degradations in audio/video playback. The video becomes suttery and audio occasionally drops out if it is over a digital channel. Here are my configs:

Mac Pro (Snow Leopard) connected to Dell 2408 (DVI) and analog speakers
XBMC 9.11 stable
2 Dual Core Xeon 2.66 GHz
5 GB RAM
ATI 1900XT

Windows 7 Ultimate connected to Dell 2408 (DVI) and analog speakers
XBMC Nightly as of 2/6
Dual Core AMD 4200+ X2 (939)
2 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800GTS

Windows 7 Ultimate connected to Panasonic Plasma 54" and digital audio (all over hdmi)
XBMC 9.11 stable
Dual Core E6750 2.66 GHz
2 GB RAM
ATI 4550

I'm including the mac configuration since it's the easiest reference, but my main concern is to get this working on my windows configs. At the start of the movie, I see playback on the mac consuming around 130% CPU usage (across the 4 cores) for XBMC. On the AMD machine, I see about 140-160% CPU usage overall (70-80% usage of each core). However, skipping to the halfway point of the movie, CPU consumption jumps to 150% on the mac and 180% on the amd. At this point in the movie on my Intel E6750, playback stutters and the audio channel is clearly dropped (my receiver shows dolby digital switching off and there is a break in the audio). In all the cases, the CPU is not maxed out yet. Also I figured on the AMD CPU would be less the entire time since I set it to use DXVA and I think the graphics card should be more than enough to handle it.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Up to current Nightly on all platforms.
hi davilla,

thanks for the quick response - I updated my AMD machine to the latest nightly (I guess I was one behind), but didn't see any change. DXVA is set as the default renderer. I am still seeing the stuttering. I'm hoping this is due to hardware acceleration not properly set up. Is there any additional steps/installations I will need to take to configure it in the nightly other than setting DXVA? Thanks!
brycerocket Wrote:hi davilla,

thanks for the quick response - I updated my AMD machine to the latest nightly (I guess I was one behind), but didn't see any change. DXVA is set as the default renderer. I am still seeing the stuttering. I'm hoping this is due to hardware acceleration not properly set up. Is there any additional steps/installations I will need to take to configure it in the nightly other than setting DXVA? Thanks!

Sorry, I don't do Windows Smile That was aimed at your OSX install.
debug log
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

In the log I'm seeing a lot of:
09:41:43 T:2959818752 M:2673758208 ERROR: ffmpeg[B06B4000]: [h264] number of reference frames exceeds max (probably corrupt input), discarding one

This is on my mac, which has 4 cores and only shows 145-160% CPU usage during this time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080P Stuttering after fast forwarding to middle of large m2ts0