[AppleTV] Anyone running ubuntu karmic 9.10 without issues?
This post is from Google's cache...

cake Wrote:Hi all
Maybe my google-foo isnt the best so if this is already answered elsewere i apologize..

I have a patched atv os and linux running side by side on my atv. I installed karmic from the netboot install and fixed up /boot/grub/menu.lst so that the atv bootloader manages to boot karmic without problems..

me@atv:~$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
default 0
timeout 3
title linux
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-19-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro processor.max_cstate=2
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-19-generic
boot

1st problem: Pink/pinkish background.
The solution for this was to install the nvidia drivers suggested by the "hardware drivers" app. I installed version 185 which the app has as [Recommended]. However, it wasnt enough just to install the drivers. After the install the screeen would just be black after a gdm restart. I also edited /etc/modprobe.d/optins as per instructions from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installin...Mythbuntu_9.10 and http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloa...teNvidiaDriver.

I wasnt sure which one was valid so i added both lines..
me@atv:~$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/options
options nvidia_new NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=0
options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=0

I also fixed up the xorg.conf file as per instructions from http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloa...teNvidiaDriver
Allthough it does add coolbits=1 it does complain about not beeing able to properly detect certain options.

I Also did the part with the startup script to clock the nvidia gpu
sudo nano /home/username/.config/autostart/nvidia_fixes.desktop
sudo nano /usr/sbin/nvidia_hang_fix.sh
etc..

After all this, X starts fine and display the login screen, but i do get weird green "shades"/artifacts.. plus the screen is really vibrating..

I havnt been able to track down this yet..

Does anyone have this working without problems?
I'm thinking it might have something to do with karmic not using xorg.conf in the same way that hardy was. I had this working like a charm with hardy but i just wanted to see if i could get it working I remember i did some tweaks to the xorg.conf under hardy after suggestions from davilla but i wasnt able to find my way back to the posts i read when i was doing that...
I can't boot it, There is no problem installing, but it's hangs when load the kernel...

Any help?

BR
I do NOT recommend running karmic on the AppleTV. It's a bitch to get working and there's no way to get audio over HDMI working.

Stick with Ubuntu 8.04. It works just fine and is very stable. Stop playing the update to the newest OS race, there's nothing in karmic that adds feature/functionality to XBMC on atv(linux).
Ok, I have installed minimal ubuntu 8.04 and works great...

Thanks Davilla.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Anyone running ubuntu karmic 9.10 without issues?0