Ideas/suggestions for the new settings system
what about a dev-stop for a xbmc 1.2 christmas release ?
it's time for updating all the cool skins an scripts.
Confusedaint:
new settings is cool, good work :thumbsup:

would be nice if you could see the area codes in the weather sections that are already set.
its just one big button now.

and imho its still a big mess, a lot of settings can be 'invisible'.
hell i'm a very frequent user and just saw some new settings i dont even know what they do, let alone first time users.
are you working now on making a seperation between neccesary and expert settings?

:bowdown:
jmarshall won't be back till ~monday next week to reply to any comments/suggestions, but keep them coming, anyways Smile
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

hi all,

just a quick check in from cologne to see if things went in ok (the cvs update occured 10 mins before i had to catch the train).

glad to see it all got in fine Smile

yes, i think many of the settings can be classified and either removed completely, or arranged so that only experts can change them. now that the new system is in, it should be pretty easy to change things around as necessary.

next is a skin versioning system which i'll start on when i get back.

thanks for all the nice comments Smile

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

first i thought that the new settings menu was not that great looking.. but since chokey released pm ii skin with the new settings menu, i like it a lot more (for some reason?) then the pm skin. maybe because it fits better with the modern looks of pm2? i don't know..

also since 06-12-2004 fixed: various settings options weren't being displayed correctly, the menu structure looks a lot more organized.

i think the new setting structure can be better then the old one because now everything is more seperated and cleaner.

a little comment:

you can change the "audio options" under both "my videos" and "my music" settings. this seems nice because you think you can change the settings separatly from each other but if you change the "audio options" under "my videos" settings it also change under "my music" settings... so what's the point of having the option 2 times? (i prefer having the option only 1 time under "my music" settings)

the same goes for the "filters" buttons which is both under "my videos" and "appearance" settings. only in the xbmc 2004-12-06 cvs and the latest skins under settings/ my videos/ filters the filters doesn't seem to work and under "appearance" the gui filters does work.

also in the old menu under "audio options" the advanced options for "high quality resampling" and "overall audio headroom" were for (expert only!Wink. now it isn't anymore? or at least it doesn't say so in the new menu..

and is there a possibility that the "profile" and "system info" button comes back under the new "settings" menu?

also i like your idea of the "advanced settings" option.

i personnaly think in this "advanced settings" menu it should not only have the more expert settings but also the settings you only set one time like e.g. kai, network, weather options etc. and the option is turned off by default you said but do you have to turn it on in your xboxmediacenter.xml or just by a button click in the new settings menu with a popup notice / warning or something? i prefer last because it's annoying when you have to change something quick but you can't because you have to edit the xboxmediacenter.xml

keep up the great work :thumbsup:
ok look - with the new context menus you will be able to press white in the my videos section - then in the context menu you can go to the video settings (just like we already have it in my pictures)

now imagine this situation: youre in the videos section and youre about to start a movie - you might wanna change some settings before you actually start your movie (like subtitle size, calibration, maybe the view etc) - so you press white to go to the video settings - audio options are definately something u might wanna change here too - thats why we have it in the video section aswell

the main idea is to have all settings you might need on one screen, so you can watch your movie as fast as possible, without going through a couple of settings screens...

---------

now the filter settings - the filters in the video sections apply to the video - reducing video flicker and making the video softer

the filters in the appearance section apply to to gui only!

we already made that more obvious by renaming them to "video filters" and "gui filters"

hope that clears that part

---------

about profiles and system info:

as it appears, we are gonna get a profile selection screen at bootup in the near future, where you can choose the profile before xbmc starts - im not sure into which settings section that option would fit - dunno if just the option to save the profile (load profiles works on bootup then) is worth an extra settings section - though it would probably make sense to have that in the system settings

in the system info screen theres definately nothing no change - so no settings at all. thats why it shouldnt be in the settings
it would probably be best to have this option in the (upcomming) shutdown menu.
this menu will popup once you press the press the right thumbstick. it will hold buttons to "shutdown", "reboot", "exit to dash", "change profile", maybe "system info" and "about xbmc" - basicly i want it to look like this...

i think once all that is in, it will (hopefully) solve all the above mentioned issues

ok i am speechless. about the profiles and system info those ideas are just great :bowdown: and you were right about the new menu structure, as with pmii i just love it already. great work!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ideas/suggestions for the new settings system0