Restart XBMC from bash command line in minimal installation
Hi guys
I set up a minimal installation using the instructions in the 'Nirviana' thread. XBMC works well. When I wish to exit to bash to make changes to ubuntu, I cannot see a way of restarting XBMC. The only way is to reboot, and then XBMC loads automatically.
So my noobie question, please, is quite simple:
At the bash command line, what commands to I issue to start XBMC?

Thanks

DC
If it is "live based" runXBMC will start it.
if its live based its alot better to use sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live restart
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Not exactly sure how you're starting XBMC, if it's LIVE based use the methods above.

If you are running it under a TTY, and uinge .xsession & .bash_profile in the user dir that XBMC loads under, this is mine that works in the event that XBMC crashes so that you don't need to restart your machine. It will automatically reload.

.xsession
Code:
exec xbmc --standalone

.bash_profile
Code:
# start x for tty1. respawn if x stops.
if [ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]; then
  startx
  logout
fi

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

That will also include the .bashrc file to keep your personal bash settings.

Any changes that I do, I just ssh into the box that XBMC is loaded on, which doesn't require me to exit XBMC to make changes, the only time I need to shut it down fully is if I need to upgrade my graphics drivers.

Which in that event, you will need to comment out the first few lines in the .bash_profile, kill XBMC, do what I need to do, remove the commented info and reboot.

Also, if it's loaded under a TTY you can switch between them using: CTRL + ALT + F1, F2 etc
Thanks.
exec xbmc --standalone
was sufficient.
I had the opportunity to use this when XBMC crashed (trying to use last.fm) and exited back to bash. Kwality.

Thanks for the tips about starting.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Restart XBMC from bash command line in minimal installation1