With DXVA2 support in Win, is there any reason for Live?
Just built my first HTPC and was a bit surprised how many headaches I had with XBMC Live. I finally got most things working but am still having some sound and driver issues. All along my plan has been to run a dual boot Win7 and XBMC Live setup to take advantage of VDPAU -- but now I am rethinking that. Everything has worked in Win7 flawlessly with the 9.11 build except 720p/1080p (obviously). But I just threw on the latests SVN and low and behold the DXVA2 implementation seems perfect.

So my question is: Is there really any reason to keep mutzing around with XBMC Live considering my zero knowledge of linux? Is there anything other than VDPAU that Live can do that Win7 cannot?

My setup:
Jetway NC94FL with Atom D510
Asus Geforce 210
2GB RAM

Thx
Even with DXVA I prefer live to have something akin to a XBMC appliance. Plus Windows licences cost money...
Live remains the closest thing to XBMC for Xbox that can play HD video. It's an object you put in your living room and use exclusively for media and sparingly if at all for computing, typing, and reading.

In that sense, it has value. If I were to give my grandma an xbmc box, it'd undoubtedly be Live.
If it wasn't for BluRay and HD-DVD playback I would have gone to Live just for freeing up a Windows license and shorter startup time.

And the video playback seems better for me under Live than it does using DXVA.
HTPC: ZBOX-ID41 running OpenElec with Logitech Harmony remote.
NAS: Lian Li Cube, MSI P55-CD53, Intel I7-880, 16GB RAM, 23x 2TB WD drives @ RAID6, 500GB Samsung, Ubuntu Linux.
TV: Samsung UE75ES9005
surely with linux being the lead dev platform it has less bugs. and without the need for a license is awesome.

if it wasn't for all the little useful apps in windows (and unfortunately WoW) i'd switch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
With DXVA2 support in Win, is there any reason for Live?0