Restarting a crashed XBMC remotely, e.g. via SSH
Hello all
I'm a n00b and I have finally got XBMC working well on Ubuntu 9.04 minmal, thanks to the Revo image thread elsewhere here.

I've been disappointed with how frequently XBMC crashes and either hangs or quits out to the command line. It seems (according to the error message) to flake over such minor problems as downloading a duff JPG from Last.fm. This is not very imprewssive, I thought Linux was bullet proof?!

Anyway, my question is, please: how do I restart XBMC using a remote login such as though SSH? I don't fully understand the Linux session, terminal or GUI, so I am not sure that simply issuing "exec xbmc --standalone" over SSH will work. I have not yet tried it, as XBMC has not (yet) crashed today while listening to Last.

What's the best approach please?

Thanks

DC
Depends on how xbmc is setup to start, but something like this should do it:
Code:
export TERM=linux
export DISPLAY=localhost:0
nohup startx &

you really should be trying to find out why xbmc is crashing though.
Kodi Leia v18.6 Android | Sony Bravia KD-65X9000E
Kodi Leia v18.6 X86-64 | ASRock ION 330-BD Intel Dual Core Atom 1.6GHz | 4GB RAM | HDMI Display | Analogue Audio | Flirc IR
Thanks, I'll give that a try if (when?) it next crashes.
if you get xbmc-live running do

sudo service xbmc-live stop
sudo service xbmc-live start
Fuggin, your code doesn't work. I get a syntax error and it closes the connection:

kwstump, I do not have live, so ran "sudo service xbmc start" from a remote terminal and the action seems to hang everything. My windows termnial client told me that thhere'd been no response and it aborted and disconnected.

Are there any other commands that can be used, please?
when my xbmcbuntu lucid installation hangs at boot screen I SSH into the system and do a sudo init 3 with admin login (not XBMC user)

that does the trick
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Restarting a crashed XBMC remotely, e.g. via SSH0