DTS-MA/TrueHD support
And no, I am not talking about seeing corrects lights on the receiver ...
I have movie with two sound tracks, one of them in DTS-MA format (according to VLC-on-PC media info). I can also switch between them on VLC.
When I play the same file on XBMC (on ASRock 330 if it is relevant) I see only one sound track, and obviously can't switch to anything else.
What I expect to get is to LPCM 7.1 streamed to my receiver (and would be perfectly happy with it). So - are HD sound formats supported on XBMC and I have some nasty configuration problem or I should wait for some future version ?
dumalkin Wrote:And no, I am not talking about seeing corrects lights on the receiver ...
I have movie with two sound tracks, one of them in DTS-MA format (according to VLC-on-PC media info). I can also switch between them on VLC.
When I play the same file on XBMC (on ASRock 330 if it is relevant) I see only one sound track, and obviously can't switch to anything else.
What I expect to get is to LPCM 7.1 streamed to my receiver (and would be perfectly happy with it). So - are HD sound formats supported on XBMC and I have some nasty configuration problem or I should wait for some future version ?

truehd - full support
dts-hd - only dts core can be decoded.
neil.j1983 Wrote:truehd - full support
dts-hd - only dts core can be decoded.

Ironically most of movies with HD audio somehow come to me in dts-hd format ...
Support of DTS-HD is in roadmap or just forget about it ? I don't want to re-encode (not sure it is doable at all) from DTS-HD to TrueHD.
I dont know if it exists on linux, but if you have a windows box I would use eac3to together with some decoders to convert your DTS-HD into flac.

that way it's fully supported and no need to worry.
dumalkin Wrote:Support of DTS-HD is in roadmap or just forget about it ?

DTS-HD is a pretty locked up format. I would forget it for the near (5 years?) future.

I can attest that converting to FLAC in Windows isn't the end of the world (does require pay for software though), and personally I think the DTS core tracks are more than good enough (DTS HD core is still like three times the quality of average DVD DTS0.
i agree with poofyhairyguy, I personally can't hear the difference between core audio tracks and their lossless counterparts.

I realise many people like having lossless because it's lossless, and I do for a few movies, but it's overkill.

I've recently started converting lossless tracks to aac 5.1 at q=1.0 (probably unnecessarily high, i would guess you could go down to 0.75 or 0.8) it seems to be around 700mb for a 2hr movie, which is great as it's closer to the lossless than dts or ac3, and a heck of a lot smaller than FLAC. I would say there's no way to hear the difference.

all options, but it depends on how much you want to do.
You can hear the difference, but maybe not on a crappy speaker setup.
TSlackM Wrote:You can hear the difference, but maybe not on a crappy speaker setup.

no, I can't. And by crappy you mean what exactly?. I spent $2000 on my speakers (i wouldn't call them 'crappy') and I can't hear the difference. I would guess spending double wouldn't allow me to hear the difference.

you might be able to (and good for you) but for most people it's a waste of space.

And if you have a system costing thousands whats a few hundred dollars buying all the software (windows + tmt2 + anydvdhd) to convert it to flac. surely it's pocket change?

If you want to prove me wrong, we can give it a try, I can put up an AAC and lossless sample and you see which one is which?
Its no need for that, i can easily hear the difference between dts-core and the full dts master hd track.
the DTS core lacks dynamic and depth, and sounds rather flat.

if you cant hear the difference maybe its time for a new amplifier.
great sound comes from great amplifiers not speakers.
allthough speakers also are important,but they always come second.
dumalkin Wrote:Ironically most of movies with HD audio somehow come to me in dts-hd format ...
Support of DTS-HD is in roadmap or just forget about it ? I don't want to re-encode (not sure it is doable at all) from DTS-HD to TrueHD.

With full support for THD, anyone have any luck getting TrueHD to work on ATI video cards. I think ATI has full 7.1 support via PCIe vs nVidia (which I have) has SPDIF audio over HDMI so no luck for me yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-MA/TrueHD support0