Current album art behavior
I am posting this under General Discussion, since this is not meant to be a feature request but more a request for a discussion on this topic. It might end up being a feature req, but at this point it is not.

Currently, Album art seems to be set per album or folder. This is totally cool for most albums, but there are exceptions especialls if the "Album Artist" tag is being set. For compilations (even selfmade compilations), I have the Album Artist set to "VA" so the tracks show up as one album, but the tracks itself have different covers embedded into ID3. I don't think this is uncommon, so I am wondering why currently if Album Artist is set, the first cover will be applied to all tracks for this album. IMHO, especially if Tag reading is enabled, XBMC should check for each tracks album art and use it if available rather than simply assuming the 1st track's album art is the one to go.

I would like to discuss this and hear what others think about it, or if there are any advantages with the current implementation. As mentiond before, I do not think the usecase is unusual and if people agree, I'd go ahead and file a feature request.

Cheers-
I think this is a side effect of you setting the album artist to be the same for all the tracks (VA). The album image is cached using the album artist and the album title. And Xbmc will check for a cached album image before checking for a cached track image because it's quicker to apply the same image to all songs in an album instead of fetching them all individually, especially if they normally would always be the same. If you leave the album artist blank, and let Xbmc autodetect that its a VA album, it should work as you suggest, though I'm honestly not entirely sure which image would get cached as the album image.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Skins can use now since rev 27711
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/27711
Player.Folderpath Shows the full path of the currently playing song or movie

So it wil cache the cdart in folder.

edit: example
old:
Code:
<texture fallback="disc.png">smb://MEDIASERVER/Music/$INFO[MusicPlayer.Artist]/$INFO[MusicPlayer.Album]/cdart.png</texture>

new:
Code:
<texture fallback="disc.png">$INFO[Player.FolderPath,,cdart.png]</texture>

edit: oops this has nothing to do with your question Rolleyes sorry.
Is there a way to change the behavior so that it does treat cover art individually per track? I've got the same problem as the OP, and I've got MANY custom compilations I've done where most of the tracks have different cover art in the ID3, and it's sad that the entire compilation all end up with the cover art from just one (seemingly random?) of the tracks.

Yes, I have the same album artist set on the collection. Not doing that royally screws up organization in most media players (iTunes, etc). There's no chance that I'm gonna remove the album artist tag from the collections given how much it screws up organization, but it would be awesome if there were some change I could make so that XBMC would show the proper cover art for the specific track.

Having a setting that would show the correct cover art for the track just during the OSD Info during playback of that track would be nice, even if it didn't cache the individual cover arts for use in file/library browse lists, would be enough to make me happy. Though it would be best if I could even get it to show proper cover art in said file/library browse lists.
+1

Any update on this? I, too, have the same issue. Tracks (.m4a) from my compilation albums all have individual album art embedded and Album Artist set to VA. In iTunes, everything works as it should - the artwork embedded in the track currently playing is displayed in iTunes and ATV2. In XBMC, it displays the same (random?) art for all tracks.
Does no-one on this forum care that xbmc doesn't show the artwork for the currently playing track? Or have I missed a setting somewhere to get this to work?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Current album art behavior0