black and white overlay
Im trying to mimic the fanart in this image:

Do I need to create an overlay that masks all the color from the fanart images? Or do I use a color code that causes black and white? right now I have an overlay that has a black diffuse and ive been changing the transpariency but there is still color? can someone lead me in the right direction or tell me what I would need to do? Thank you
You'd be looking for a desaturation effect. I'm not really familiar with skinning xbmc to the extent that I can offer more, but it's a start.
hikaricore Wrote:You'd be looking for a desaturation effect. I'm not really familiar with skinning xbmc to the extent that I can offer more, but it's a start.

A Desaturation Filter would be perfect. But is it possible??
You would normally need to edit the Hue/Saturation i.e. > Set Lightness to "0" > Set Saturation to "-100". Possible With xml??
ok i know how to make the desaturation in PS I think. I made a white image (1920X1080 - does it have to be that big?) and then I left the hue @ zero and set saturation @ -100 and lightness @ 0. When I did that it should make the saturation. So I coded this:

Quote:<texture diffuse="other/overlay.png">$INFO[ListItem.Property(Fanart_Image)]</texture>

and when I reload it there is no desaturation. Is there something im missing, I tried looking back at other skins but Im still learning. I'm hoping I overlooked something.
I think what the above guys were saying is they know how to do it in PS but there probably isn't a way in XBMC..I can't think of a XBMC way except a simple transparent black image over the fanart. Thats the closest I think you can get...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Yeah, what you're looking at is a mock up, you wont be able to make it B&W.
yep, unless I take the ultimate dedication and edit all my fanarts Smile
myanek05 Wrote:ok i know how to make the desaturation in PS I think. I made a white image (1920X1080 - does it have to be that big?) and then I left the hue @ zero and set saturation @ -100 and lightness @ 0. When I did that it should make the saturation. So I coded this:

and when I reload it there is no desaturation. Is there something im missing, I tried looking back at other skins but Im still learning. I'm hoping I overlooked something.

Sorry, I was explaining how its works in photoshop, hoping there's a similarity.

Someone above mentioned the transparent overlay in front... like fanart in alaska. But I wonder if you could sandwich fanart between a black layer and a white overlay (or the other way around), while changing the opacity of fanart as well to get a better effect. Slightly Desaturated
Desaturation is very easy technically, I can't believe there's not a feature for this in the image controls.
I think the overlay as suggested by mcborzu is the only real way to get anywhere near to this effect. Blush

Basically use a black image that is between 20 and 60% transparent to blot out most colors. It is not the prettiest solution but it somewhat works. I think the skinning engine can be made to do this if you really want to I'm sure that the developers would not mind if you provide a patch for this. But it might take a little more effort to get one of them to take time out of their busy schedule to implement this for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
black and white overlay0