DSPlayer vs DVDPlayer
I hope this has not been covered before. I spent nearly an hour searching, but couldn't find anything relevant.

I am wondering if I should instal DSPlayer?
I need to understand the differences between DSPlayer and the standard Kodi DVDPlayer.
I play mainly avi, mkv and mp4 files, although I occasionally play blu-Ray DVDs.

In the pc I am currently using the motherboard's audio and video processors, and running Windows 10 (current version).

I have Kodi (v17.6) audio set up as WASPI with a HDMI connection to my receiver which can process all the various modes up to 7.1.
(2018-04-09, 06:59)Nordo Wrote: I need to understand the differences between DSPlayer and the standard Kodi DVDPlayer.

If you doesn't know a difference then you doesn't need DSPlayer. Only if you understand a difference you can decide to use DSPlayer or original Kodi
I've been a DSPlayer user for several years now. I concur with afedchin.

DSPlayer, currently, mainly enables you to use madVR (a video renderer) that allows you to apply advanced scaling algorithms and other video processing techniques which are currently unavailable on Kodi.

This might or might not be of interest to you. But for ease of use regular Kodi can't be beaten. If you don't feel the need for improved video scaling, you might be trying to solve a problem you don't have.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
It should also be pointed out that DSPlayer is community maintained code that is unsupported by the Team Kodi devs, as Team devs will not looked into any bugs with the DSPlayer builds you will have to rely on there being a continued active community of users for help.
(2018-04-09, 12:35)ashlar Wrote: I've been a DSPlayer user for several years now. I concur with afedchin.

DSPlayer, currently, mainly enables you to use madVR (a video renderer) that allows you to apply advanced scaling algorithms and other video processing techniques which are currently unavailable on Kodi.

This might or might not be of interest to you. But for ease of use regular Kodi can't be beaten. If you don't feel the need for improved video scaling, you might be trying to solve a problem you don't have.
Thanks Ashlar - that's what I needed to know.
There doesn't appear to be anywhere on the Forum that explains the differences between each, and where one would have an advantage over the other.

I'm happy with my video at the moment.
But then someone who drinks cheap wine thinks his wine is great, but he has never tasted good wine.  Wink
In the past there was reason (nice to have options) for the establishment of DSPlayer, but the video software end of Kodi has been worked to the point most of us are satisfied with the standard player.
If you want to understand what DSPlayer is all about, read the link in my signature.

If you want simplicity, you won’t find it. If you want options, it has it. It really comes down to the GPU you have, as DSPlayer tries to use the GPU like a 4K video game does. Not every GPU can handle this kind of stress.

Read the link to the madVR guide in the DSPlayer guide. There are literally hundreds of options to toggle in madVR. Not everyone wants to do this.

Probably the biggest reason to use DSPlayer today on Windows is support for HDR passthrough with newer Nvidia and AMD GPUs. It’s unlikely regular Kodi will offer this feature in the near future due to way HDR playback is currently handled by Windows 10.

I don’t mind regular Kodi at all and have been using it for years. I just wanted the feature set provided by madVR more.
I agree with all the above.  That said, there are some features DSPlayer can do that KODI does not.  For most, this is of little importance.  For others, it is paramount.  DSPlayer is not capable of covering all the bases but it does cover a few more than the KODI internal videoplayer.  There are doubts DSPlayer will be upgraded to new KODI versions anymore but that won't be confirmed until v.18 Leia rolls out.  To cover all the bases with zero limitations while using any official version of KODI and surpassing what DSPlayer provides would require a different method allowing a choice of player(s) since no single player can do it all.  The players of choice are determined by the user based on their content and preferences.  Major benefits would be UHD HDR, 3D, and 2D Blu-ray playback mimicked exactly as the physical disc in a dedicated player but in higher quality.  You can read more about that in the link in my signature if interested.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Wink 
Thanks guys.
I appreciate everyone's comments, and it is now quite clear that neither my pc's onboard video or myself would notice any effect of changing to DSPlayer - apart from me suffering endless headaches.
Cheers Shy
I watch more movies than the average person and I can't tell the difference between madvr and other displays. The major difference aside from that is displayer will play frame packed 3d
I think when you all you guys are trying to make your minds up which KODI would work best for your desires, you are limiting your choices.

1) There is the official version of KODI.  Not much needs to be said as most are already familiar.  There is always support, and new features and bugs are constantly addressed.  While not as rich featured as some other players, these extra features may or may not apply to you at all.  What it can do is extensive and does it well.  It is the platform most desire because it so feature rich and the rock other builds attach to when they add additional functionality.  The official version of KODI does not apply all these additional functions because most of them are a niche.  One has to remember KODI caters to other popular O/S platforms such as android and apple - not just Windows.  The same with GPU manufactures and devices that contain them.  KODI developers have created KODI with limited attachments to 3rd party components other than integrated code from the O/S's themselves.  To keep things in house so to speak and never be held hostage.  Because the O/S's are in a constant state of change, KODI devs chase these changes to keep working with the advancements while continuing to be backwards compatible as much as possible.  At the same time, take advantage of the new possibilities such as the newest format UHD.  Therefore, it will not play HDR using private API's (like madVR utilizes) for example - only Windows HDR which is cumbersome and limited.  That said, it will convert HDR to SDR which is acceptable to many and a great example of devs advancing with technology as well as many other features KODI v.18 LEIA provides that 17.6 doesn't and never will. 

2) You have DSPlayer which is an unofficial version of KODI dependent on one author who does not regularly maintain his creation.  There's about a hundred others on youtube also but this one less problematic and tolerated on these forums because it's not hell bent on circumventing paid things and possibly causing harm to your systems.  Anytime you use unofficial things, there is no one to blame except yourself should things go wrong.  To date, the author has provided a version equal to the latest final release of KODI and it's unknown if further updates will be provided or not due to his lack of communication.  Besides the software, the player itself is part of the build.  This too is not updated. Being an unofficial version of KODI, there is no official support other than its user base who understand no actual changes can be made by them - only discussion of its usage unless someone assumes the project.  Bug reports and feature requests on GitHub to improve the build have accumulated into the thousands and remain stagnant hinting a new maintainer would have his hands full as well as the assumed present one.  This forked version has a player that is integrated with other components like madVR and LAV filters built-in meaning you don't have to download and install these components separately although you will have to adjust them just as you would had you downloaded them.  Because the player is part of KODI, some basic remote controls assume the same mapping as the official version of KODI making remote control integration a non-issue.  But, advanced RC remains simplistic due to the limits of the RC itself and many of the benefits not useable.  The player replaces the original KODI VideoPlayer and because it is compatible with madVR and LAV Filters, the player functions are increased.  A couple of those elevated functions include the ability to decode and render 3D MVC and passthrough HDR metadata because madVR and LAV Filters are in use but only under certain precise conditions.  Audio and video are enhanced due to the additional components used and these are dependent on the strength of your GPU meaning the quality may or may not be any different due to the number of algorithms and intensity you are able to apply and that's if they're even needed.  Still, there are limitations and caveats when using this build such as iso compatibility meaning you will never achieve or mimic a disc in a dedicated player and miss all of the extras and choices a full disc provides.  You will not have menus for example and the rips you use must be tailored for this player so not every type of RIP will work.  All this said, DSPlayer is popular because it conveniently provides more (but not all) than the official version of KODI and is satisfying to many.

3) This brings us to the most demanding niche of all.  Those that want to use the official versions of KODI including nightlies (aka Alpha, Beta, or RC's) with any player or combination of them including components that enrich some of them such as madVR + LAV filters.  This opens endless possibilities like using PowerDVD, DVDFab, etc. exclusive functions that other players like MPC-HC/BE or DSPlayer cannot do like mimicking a physical disc in its entirety exactly like a dedicated player.  So not only can you use MPC-HC/BE with madVR and LAV filters, you can use other players at the same time.  You pick the player(s) you want to use and default them to a particular type of file or simply manually select it within KODI before playback when you want to override the default you assigned.  No single player does it all but a combination of them covers the gamut allowing all the players to shine where they shine best.  The experience is seamless and the user has the ability to tailor his home theatre to new heights.  No more limitations on what kind of files you can play.  No requirements to alter RIPS to fit a player.  No limitations or caveats whatsoever.  Best of all, you are using the official releases of KODI to launch your player(s) and returned to KODI as if you never left it.  Again, KODI is the rock these other features launch from.  Since all other front ends have caveats and limitations due to their players, personally I think this is the best approach for the diversity I desire that nothing else can provide.  Should your requirements be more simplistic and altering other things makes more sense than choosing a diverse front end and associated player(s), this approach is probably not for you.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
WOW!!!!!!
Great stuff brazen1.  Cool
Although you have left me a little foggy regarding DS Player (and others).
I think I'll stick to Kodi's player.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DSPlayer vs DVDPlayer0