XBMC freezes when a video finishes playing
Hi, I'm having a problem where XBMC will freeze after a video has finished playing (when it should return to the UI). It doesn't always happen, but seems to happen around 60% of the time. Even the mouse pointer becomes completely stuck.

I can press Ctrl-F1 to jump into a console. Attempting to kill the xbmc.bin process fails (the process becomes "defunct"). I can kill the xbmc process, after which xbmc.bin ends up becoming a zombie. After this, I can no longer run XBMC until the system is rebooted.

Here's my info:

XBMC Version: 9.11-r3
XBMC Install method: Portage (ebuild) provided in Gentoo (e.g. "emerge xbmc")
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600; 4GB RAM; nVidia GeForce 8600GT (driver 190.42-r3); Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
Debug log: http://avalon-one.net/misc/xbmc.log (there's an ERROR near the end)

Please let me know if there's any more info I should provide!

Thanks,
Mart
I'm having the same issue as well. I have to ssh into the box in order to kill xbmc and restart it after each video so I can then watch something else. Changing my video rendering mode to something other than auto or VDPAU doesn't stop this XBMC freezing problem.

XBMC Version: 9.11-karmic1
XBMC Install method: Followed XBMC.org Install Guide for Linux on Ubuntu (sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc-standalone)
Hardware: AMD Athlon II 245 CPU; 4GB RAM; Asus M4A785TD-M M/B; ATI Radeon HD 4200 GPU (integrated); VT1708S 8-ch HD Audio CODEC (integrated)
Debug log: http://www.cyric.au.com/temp/xbmc.log

Any advice on fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated.

PS - tried posting this two days ago, but it's been stuck in the moderation queue... Blush
I have a similiar issue on a Zotac ION box with XBMC-Live, SVN 28256. Issue only seems to appear when playing HD Content. This also happens sometimes when I press the stop button.

On my setup, if I wait about 5-10 minutes the system eventually becomes responsive and returns to the UI.

Since this issue doesn't really bother me too much, I've never done much to troubleshoot it... and we are getting pretty close to a new release so hopefully it gets resolved there.

Just figured I'd toss in my 2 cents. Cool
I'm having similar issues with random lockups on a Revo 3610... I'd just like to find an easier way to kill xbmc, other than switching to runlevel 1, logging in, killing xbmc.bin, and switching back... sometimes even having to reboot. I need to find a key combination that works, something "girlfriend" friendly you know...
XBMC Version: 9.11
XBMC Install method: Ubuntu Team-XBMC PPA
Hardware: Asus EEEbox eb1012 /w Dual Core 1.6ghz Atom 330, Nvidia ION GPU, & 2 gigs of ddr2

The error also only presents following HD content, I'm running the bleeding edge 256.11 drivers from nvidia (not the ubuntu repos) if that helps anything... I wonder if this is a driver error. I cannot seem to kill XBMC at all, even as root. I am forced to reboot.
ugmoe2000 Wrote:I'm also seeing this error on Lucid 64bit on an Asus eb1012 with the dual core atom chip and nvidia ion gpu. The error also only presents following HD content, I'm running the bleeding edge 256.11 drivers from nvidia (not the ubuntu repos) if that helps anything... I wonder if this is a driver error. I cannot seem to kill XBMC at all, even as root. I am forced to reboot.

There's this little thing called xbmc.log, shows lots of info that we devs want to see. Problem is, it's on your computer and we can't seem to see the contents. Be a pal and post it to http://www.pastebin.com. Thanks Smile
davilla Wrote:There's this little thing called xbmc.log, shows lots of info that we devs want to see. Problem is, it's on your computer and we can't seem to see the contents. Be a pal and post it to http://www.pastebin.com. Thanks Smile

Davilla, you responded to one of my other comments back here ... I recognize your avatar-pic. Rather than get angry at you for calling me out as a noob AGAIN I'll simply provide you with the info you requested. I've since restarted the machine and am presently watching another video the log may not be to helpful depending on how this particular log operates, but I suppose you would know if it would be helpful or not. Thank you for being a dev... I very-much enjoy XBMC -- Sorry I'm still a noob Sad
ugmoe2000 Wrote:Davilla, you responded to one of my other comments back here ... I recognize your avatar-pic. Rather than get angry at you for calling me out as a noob AGAIN I'll simply provide you with the info you requested. I've since restarted the machine and am presently watching another video the log may not be to helpful depending on how this particular log operates, but I suppose you would know if it would be helpful or not. Thank you for being a dev... I very-much enjoy XBMC -- Sorry I'm still a noob Sad

LOL, I did not mention the noob word at all Smile

Ok if "The error also only presents following HD content", I think the xbmc.log that has this error would be better than the one where xbmc does not have a problem.
davilla Wrote:I think the xbmc.log that has this error would be better than the one where xbmc does not have a problem.

Here is the log from the system that was all but hardlocked as a result of the error. I was able to ssh-in while it was frozen and grab the log before I shut the machine down. Another consistent yet interesting finding is that the machine was not frozen because of the CPU being fully used, on the contrary actually-- the cpu use was about 5-15% while it was frozen, but there was near constant disk activity with the hard drive LED going crazy, almost as if it was writing or reading a huge chunk of something and everything else was slowing down because it couldn't use the disk. Even SSH-ing into the box took a considerable amount of delay to be presented with a prompt after having already entering my password.

After stopping the video playback XBMC would return me to the folder I choose to watch the video from and I could see the other videos in that folder but the program was completely unresponsive at that point. I have not yet seen the error present when the video plays completely through, only if I stop it in the credits, or prematurely. Looking over the other error log that is still visible, it may be worth noting that both of us were playing from samba network shares at the time.
nothing of interesting in xbmc.log.

so you can ssh in. see what top looks like might be interesting.

I fear to debug this, what you will need to do is install gdb, launch xbmc under gdb, then when it hangs (the technical term for this), break into gdb, then grab a backtrace of all threads so we can figure out where it's spending all them time.

Your box looks like an atom 330 ION type. Those have plenty of ponies and with the nvidia GPU to handle video decoding with VDPAU, it should be quite snappy.

I do have a question, previously you stated "OS: Ubuntu 10.04 amd64", this is an intel atom 330 intel box, why amd64 ? I really don't see any reason to be running a 64-bit OS on this box either. I know that x86_64 has it's own particular quirks too. On my atom330 ION box, I'm running karmic 32bit. Why, it's very stable.
davilla Wrote:nothing of interesting in xbmc.log.

so you can ssh in. see what top looks like might be interesting.

I fear to debug this, what you will need to do is install gdb, launch xbmc under gdb, then when it hangs (the technical term for this), break into gdb, then grab a backtrace of all threads so we can figure out where it's spending all them time.

I do have a question, previously you stated "OS: Ubuntu 10.04 amd64", this is an intel atom 330 intel box, why amd64 ? I really don't see any reason to be running a 64-bit OS on this box either. I know that x86_64 has it's own particular quirks too. On my atom330 ION box, I'm running karmic 32bit. Why, it's very stable.

When it works it's great, this problem tends to show up after about 50% of movies-- so I can usually only watch one or two things before it needs a reboot. I'm running 64 bit solely because of the wider pipeline to the processor. From what I understand 64 bit allows you (not only to access more ram than 3.5 gb) but also it means the processor can work on a wider stream of data at any one time.

/w 64 bit I noticed a difference head to head with certain tasks, and I figure for a box like this (which isn't the fastest on the block) it could use all the advantage it's capable of. I don't have any problems with running 64 bit though though, aside from this issue, all it's used for is playing videos and web surfing as it's an HTPC.

I never though GDB could handle a program of XBMC's size.... I'll give it a shot, but no guarantees, I haven't used GDB in quite a while.
Do you have any drives which may spin down after use? This sounds like my problem where xbmc freezes when trying to access a NAS which has spun down. Xbmc just gives up and times out. It never recovers though.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
xbmcoholic Wrote:I'm having similar issues with random lockups on a Revo 3610... I'd just like to find an easier way to kill xbmc, other than switching to runlevel 1, logging in, killing xbmc.bin, and switching back... sometimes even having to reboot. I need to find a key combination that works, something "girlfriend" friendly you know...
Try:

sudo service xbmc-live stop
sudo service xbmc-live start
I am having the same problem.

When I look at the tail of my xbmc.log i see:

01:04:21 T:3078190976 M:625262592 NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: smb://movie.mkv
01:04:21 T:3078190976 M:625262592 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player):Tongueut MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
01:04:21 T:2895117168 M:625262592 NOTICE: Creating InputStream
01:04:21 T:2895117168 M:625119232 NOTICE: Creating Demuxer

after this the log stops (and xbmc freezes).

This happens about 50% of the time that I try to play this video. The rest of the time the log continues with:

01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:630353920 NOTICE: Opening video stream: 0 source: 256
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:630353920 NOTICE: Creating video codec with codec id: 28
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:630177792 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Creating VDPAU(1920x800)
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:629358592 NOTICE: vdp_device = 0x00000001 vdp_st = 0x00000000
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:629358592 NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::Open() Using codec: H.264 / AVC / MPEG-4 AVC / MPEG-4 part 10 (VDPAU acceleration)
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:629358592 NOTICE: Creating video thread
01:04:05 T:2882263920 M:629358592 NOTICE: Opening audio stream: 1 source: 256

and the file plays.

the file is H.264 1080p + audio (audio device with codec id: 86021, channels: 2, sample rate: 48000, no pass-through)

running: Linux acer 2.6.31-22-generic #63-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 18 22:54:26 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
xbmc: 1:9.11-karmic3

This freezing on play back start is relatively new, something that I have noticed just in the last week or two (I do fairly regular updates).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC freezes when a video finishes playing0